Author Topic: newbie installation woes  (Read 15602 times)

JonH

• View Profile
Re: newbie installation woes
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »
It's a modem, router, wireless AP with 4 lan sockets in the back, any more than that I can't tell you.
Tripod has a tech description here http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/001.htm

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »
I have a 2-wire DSL router as well.. it has built-in wireless, and 4 lan ports and USB port on the rear.   This device provides DHCP for a 'normal' home setup.   I have my Core connected to one of the ethernet jacks in the back...   I then have another lan card in my core that is connected to a 1Gb ethernet switch that my Media Directors are connected to.     This is the preferred setup for a LMCE home network.   Note though that I do have another PC that I use that is also connected directly to the 2-wire router.. I dont want this PC to be part of the home network because it is my 'backdoor' to the internet if i am 'tinkering' with my core PC.

Dennis

JonH

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 02:20:00 pm »
Cheers Biker that is exactly what I wanted to know.
Jon :)

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 02:57:17 pm »
Glad I could help... sometimes things get 'lost in translation'  here in the forums... after reading a few posts, I knew I should chip in.

Good luck.

Dennis

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »
You might be in a situation where that BT router has it's modem built in - are you using DSL for example? If this is the case, I would have thought (although I have no experience of this, so please correct me if I am wrong somebody) that DHCP would need to be disabled and you'd have to set up a static IP or something for eth0 on the core.

DHCP can be enabled on the external network. The modem/router can provide the extenal nic (eth0) with an IP address and LMCE is setup to request an IP address from the external network. (Can be made static if you wish)

The internal network, (eth1) LMCE makes it's own IP addresses and this is the standard 192.168.80.1 which is best left alone. LMCe then acts as the DHCP server and provides IP addresses to everything else.

Hope that doesn't throw more mud at the issue.

Then, switch things on one by one, in order (starting from the wall), waiting 30 seconds between each

That is how I go from here.

1) The BT connects to the internet and to the Cores external nic. BT is setup to provide DHCP
2) Nothing is connected to the internal NIC for now
3) Install LMCe but stop before running the LMCEinstall script on the kubuntu desktop.
4) make sure internet is working. If not let us know as that is what needs to be sorted.

Josh
My Setup: On it's way

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 12:29:58 am »
Keep in mind that any computer connecting to the BT DSL router's wireless will be on the external network (they can still access the net of course). So if you want wireless on the internal network you will need to get an access point.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »
DHCP can be enabled on the external network. The modem/router can provide the extenal nic (eth0) with an IP address and LMCE is setup to request an IP address from the external network. (Can be made static if you wish)

The internal network, (eth1) LMCE makes it's own IP addresses and this is the standard 192.168.80.1 which is best left alone. LMCe then acts as the DHCP server and provides IP addresses to everything else.

Yes, that will work. Now that I think about it, I have done it before in order to get some cameras I had working properly (they kept dropping out when on the internal network, but were fine on external). What I am saying is that I do not think it is a recommended setup. If it works OK for your current needs, great; just don't expect to be welcomed with open arms when you get a problem getting your VOIP setup or whatever (I am speaking from experience here ;))
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps