Author Topic: Newbie Q: Z-Wave & Schlage Locks  (Read 6152 times)

tommyg

• View Profile
Newbie Q: Z-Wave & Schlage Locks
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:29 pm »
I see Insteon looked good but they don't offer any door locks. Shame!
Going forward I'd like to go with Z-Wave products due to their easy integration with LinuxMCE.
Question I have is what do I all need to get going? I want to start with a door lock and build out from there.
I understand the PC that runs LinuxMCE but from what I understand I need a controller. Any suggestions on what to buy?
Also, with the cheaper price of Schlage over Kwikset a question arose from poking around. Schlage says they require a monthly fee to utilize the remote capabilities. Does that not apply if it's being controlled by the LinuxMCE box?
I'd also like to use the Android app for unlocking the door. Does that work well remotely?

What I'm trying to do is setup a situation where I can remotely unlock the door for someone. I have a dog and I'm out of town a lot for work and it would be nice to be able to let someone in my house without having to give them a key.

Thanks!

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Newbie Q: Z-Wave & Schlage Locks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »
What I'm trying to do is setup a situation where I can remotely unlock the door for someone. I have a dog and I'm out of town a lot for work and it would be nice to be able to let someone in my house without having to give them a key.

Currently LMCE does not support encrypted devices.

A couple things to note regarding the Schlage Locks
They do have a  keypad which you can give personal codes for various family members/ friends.
The deadbolt is not motorized. (can not be locked remotely)

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:48:51 pm »
http://www.aartech.ca/2458a1-smarthome-morninglinc-insteon-morning-industry-lock-controller.html

You can get an Insteon controlled lock. I'll be installing one in my new home in a few months.

tommyg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:02 pm »
Thanks to the both of you!

So to get this straight, I really cannot use LinuxMCE to control the door anyhow?
If that is the case, I may look to Insteon anyway.

Thanks!

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:39:17 pm »
http://www.aartech.ca/qf-01ob-keyless-deadbolt-oil-rubbed-bronze.html

I'm pretty sure you could get them to open remotely pairing the lock above with the lock controller in my previous post.  I'm going to try it when I am finished moving.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:27:27 pm »
So to get this straight, I really cannot use LinuxMCE to control the door anyhow?

Do you really want to control the LOCK itself, or do you want to open the door remotely? In my setup, I have a regular door lock. When I am at home, people can ring the door, and pressing some buttons on the phone will open the door. There is a small release at the door which takes care of it. When I am away, and I lock the door with a key, it can't be opened with the electric release.

tommyg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:59:42 pm »
Just to release the lock or unlock. It doesn't need to actually turn the knob or whatever style it may be. Just to allow access.

Knowing the use case.. is there any other recommendations for getting started? Z-Wave enabled products? (I'll keep those in mind also Aviator)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:01:16 pm by tommyg »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:15 am »
a typical contact closure door strike can be connected to LMCE via the GC-100, the sensor ports can be used to attach  a doorbell.

-Thom