Author Topic: DNS-troubles  (Read 2749 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
DNS-troubles
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:44:38 am »
I had some trouble with my MD and Asterisk, so I decided to scrap it and create a new MD.
So far so good, but then a new problem came up: it seemed like the DNS died..or at least got confused. I could not use the name dcerouter anymore and had to use the ip instead.
My core is attached to a router. The routers IP is 192.168.178.1 ,which I had used as DNS for my network. This enabled me before without any problem to access my network as well as internet. Now after my DNS went down, I changed that address to 192.168.80.1
With that I could use DNS again, but no internet. Then I changed everything back again...and this gave me internet and my usual DNS.
Anyone else experience something like that?

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNS-troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:59:02 pm »
What network setup do you have? A common inner network (192.168.80.x) and an outer (192.168.178.x)? Do you have devices in the outer network accessing the DCErouter?

/Joakim

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »
 You are correct about the setup, but there is nothing between the two devices, only one cable connecting them.

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »
I don't know why it worked before, but the expected setup would be to use the DNS in the DCErouter for all your devices and only have a DNS forward from the router to the DN router. This way, the router will request name resolution from Internet DNS-servers and forward the reply to DNS in the DCErouter. Both will cache the results. Your local names (moon55, et al plus any other device you've named) will only be known by the DNS in the DCErouter.
This is the default setup and does normally not require any setup.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »
It is like many times before...I should have known better...you're right of course :-)