Author Topic: Solicitation for Development: Desktop / Workstation Agent  (Read 9325 times)

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Solicitation for Development: Desktop / Workstation Agent
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »
Heh, wasn't clear.

Basically, one thing I'd like to be able to do cleanly is to watch CCTV and videos on my handset controlled via the orbiter interface. 

This seems to be a similar idea to the workstation agent (although it would obviously need a significantly different set of tech, probably for each device type)

David.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
That would actually be handled by another set of devices on the handset (a player etc.)

The agent itself was meant so that desktop PCs could do things like:

* right click a video file, play on nearest media director
* provide easy access to shares provided by DCERouter (HomeGroup support here would be very beneficial)
* provide an orbiter for desktop control
* provide a way for any nearby orbiter to send media in the library to the target PC

-Thom

david_a_dawson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 05:33:18 pm »
oooh.  I understand now.

Right, well, that sounds very nice indeed.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:38 pm »
this will probly be my next project after qOrbiter. Being able to extend automation to things running on other devices and having control of those devices could be a powerful thing. For example, I was thinking various aspects of desktop integration from integrating with the shell itself to being able to start/shutdown other machines. As far as phones, with the various sensors and such, who knows whats even possible. but, qorbiter 1st :)

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:27 pm »
this will probly be my next project after qOrbiter. Being able to extend automation to things running on other devices and having control of those devices could be a powerful thing. For example, I was thinking various aspects of desktop integration from integrating with the shell itself to being able to start/shutdown other machines. As far as phones, with the various sensors and such, who knows whats even possible. but, qorbiter 1st :)

-golgoj4

What would be cool is if I could watch tv / movies /listen to music through the desktop agent / a la orbiter/md. Alas I am an idiot, I can only dream

After reading the wiki I see that is a possibility.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:39:18 pm by bongowongo »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 08:50:06 pm »
Here's a first step for you:

UPnP allows you to show a device in the UPnP section of Computer in Windows. Clicking on it can send you automatically to the web admin. This is true of my WD My Book Live NAS, and it's simply some little bits that we need to implement to make that work.

-Thom