Author Topic: SoftPhone Fails to register with Asterisk  (Read 9228 times)

Plugs

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
SoftPhone Fails to register with Asterisk
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:43:41 am »
Hello
I am not able to register a SIP softphone with Asterisk. I took a tcpdump and i can see the SIP REGISTER message being sent from the client to the asterisk server but i do not see any responses. I also took a corresponding tcpdump on the server but i don't see any traces of the REGISTER messages sent by the client. i have eliminated any network issues by connecting a network cable directly from my laptop (running the softphone) to the LINUXMCE server but i get the same results. I have also tried multiple SIP softphone clients but i still get the same result.

I would really appreciate any assistance in figuring out whats going on.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: SoftPhone Fails to register with Asterisk
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:16 pm »
Hello
I am not able to register a SIP softphone with Asterisk. I took a tcpdump and i can see the SIP REGISTER message being sent from the client to the asterisk server but i do not see any responses. I also took a corresponding tcpdump on the server but i don't see any traces of the REGISTER messages sent by the client. i have eliminated any network issues by connecting a network cable directly from my laptop (running the softphone) to the LINUXMCE server but i get the same results. I have also tried multiple SIP softphone clients but i still get the same result.

I would really appreciate any assistance in figuring out whats going on.
Hi,

have you tried looking at asterisk's full log ?

It's here on my system (and it's huge) :
/var/log/asterisk/full

HTH,
Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »
Can you confirm that you are using is twin nic 'std LMCE' setup where LMCE owns the DHCP. Also, confirm that you have added a 'generic SIP softphone' on the phones page of webadmin and that in the SIP client you have set the host or server to 192.168.80.1 (or what evr the core IP address is), the username is the extension number and the password is what ever is in password field on the phones page of webadmin

Plugs

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:50:36 am »
I am using a standard LMCE setup with two NIC and LMCE does own the DHCP. The generic SIP softphone is added in webadmin and the SIP client is configured with the IP of the core. The username and passwords are also correct.

Here's a warning that i can see in the asterisk log file
[Apr  6 05:53:21] WARNING[16062] chan_sip.c: Remote host can't match request NOTIFY to call '42aa7c1f191e73773eab72476e5f6b96@192.168.80.1'. Giving up.
[Apr  6 06:02:20] WARNING[16062] chan_sip.c: Remote host can't match request NOTIFY to call '6b908d662e4b663f77453cad19b9f267@192.168.80.1'. Giving up.
[Apr  6 06:11:21] WARNING[16062] chan_sip.c: Remote host can't match request NOTIFY to call '32e9a7496d819e516207030b2a0bf51f@192.168.80.1'. Giving up.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »
it seems I got the exact same thing...I got one softphone on my windows-machine...that doesn't register anymore.
The other one is a analog Siemensphone hooked up to my fritzbox...that one at least receives calls, but cannot place any.
/var/log/asterisk/full reports things like this:
[Apr 10 18:40:13] WARNING[9228] chan_sip.c: Format for authentication entry is user[:secret]@realm at line 175
[Apr 10 18:40:19] WARNING[9228] chan_sip.c: Remote host can't match request NOTIFY to call '6ca176f5230ec2653c4d73ef09995fd3@192.168.80.1'. Giving up.
the data for userauthentication have been copied from the webadmin to the phones in question again, but no change so far.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:54:59 pm by maverick0815 »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:46 pm »
well, after restarting my fritzbox, even the phones attached there, don't register anymore...so right now only the orbiterphones are working

I created a trac-ticket : Ticket #1062
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:26:34 pm by maverick0815 »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:35:46 pm »
plugs: did you manage to resolve the issue?
I got mine working for a short period by doing a restore of my system from three or four updates before....now my phones are all offline

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:22:27 pm »
maverick,

check the phone numbers username and secret in web admin, and compare them to the information in /etc/asterisk/sip_additional.conf - let us know your findings

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 08:14:14 pm »
I did as you asked. I found that my "normal" phones as well as the embedded phone of the core have all correct usernames, phonenumbers and secrets. The phone in my MD has no username and the password does not match. Also, the embedded phones use port 5061, while my other phones use 5060.
question is, whether or not I have to edit the settings in the webadmin or in that conf-file to get it back to working .

Interesting...I edited the extensions in freepbx to all use port 5061 and I changed the secret to match it with the webadmin....now when I check those entries in the conf-file, none of  them has a username anymore
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:22:36 pm by maverick0815 »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:44 am »
I would not use freepbx at all. I understand that you want to get stuff going again, but it should work from the regular phones page in the webadmin. I might find some time over the easter holidays to complete my quest to get rid of most of FreePBX for 810 and 1004, and have a much more straightforward setup of asterisk. For now, I can't think of anything you could do atm :(

As soon as I got stuff in the repo, I'll let you know.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:18:08 am »
thanks alot for your effort. At least I can report a small success, because after my tinkering the phone in the md registered again...but its not much use to me right now, since I can't call from there

Plugs

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:13:32 am »
I still have not been able to get any of the softphones on my windows machine to work. I did make some progress, I am not able to make external calls from the phone orbiters. The default Dial Rules settings in FreePBX needs to be updated.

See the Troubleshooting Section of the following wiki post: wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_SPA3102.

I am still not able to register a softphone installed on a windows PC. But i only needed this to test my newly installed system. I will attempt to test the system with an analog phone connected to a VOIP gateway.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:27:00 pm »
It seems like I did solve my problem, but I have only a faint idea about the why.
My setup is the following : my router (fritzbox) connect to the internet and my core is connected directly to that. Ever since I'm using Linuxmce I used a static IP-address for that connection. As I found out some weeks ago, I made a mistake about DNS- it was set to the IP of the router instead of the core, but it was working. When I found out my mistake I changed the settings for the DNS to the IP of my core, but left everything as static.
I did some checking on my router and found a setting for the dhcp there to always assign the same address to the core. Now I went to the core and changed the network setting to use dhcp, which in theory wouldn't really have made much of a difference. Imagine my surprise, when I checked in Freebpx to see all my Phones online and working.
The only two problems I have now is that somehow surfing is a bit of a drag, since I have to request every page at least twice before the page actually loads, nslookup returns first a timeout of 2 seconds and then gives a result. The other problem is, that I cannot connect to windows messenger anymore.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:44 am »
okay, I'm one step further now. it seems an update to my internetrouter somehow screwed up dns. that seems to be working now, though my messenger still doesn't work, but that could be unrelated. However I noticed one odd thing- the phones only seem to come online, when my MD has started. Then freepbx shows me 5 phones online. On the other hand, shutting down my MD lets me keep my functionality, but freepbx doesn't realize, that now one phone is offline..still shows 5 instead of 4 now.