Author Topic: TV Issue...  (Read 4746 times)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
TV Issue...
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:40:44 am »
Can someone kindly tell me what this means?  This is the error log for my TV.  It was working fine, then it started flaking out slowly (missing every other command etc), within an hour it stopped working completely and I see this in the logs.

Help...  :'(

Code: [Select]
01 05/05/11 19:28:30.740 TranslateSerialUSB pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0+1 result /dev/ttyUSB1 <0xb58c2b90>
01 05/05/11 19:30:21.134 TranslateSerialUSB pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0+1 result /dev/ttyUSB1 <0xb588ab90>
01 05/05/11 19:33:38.002 Ruby was unable to handle the command in reasonable amount of time <0xb708db90>
01 05/05/11 19:33:56.002 Ruby was unable to handle the command in reasonable amount of time <0xb708db90>
01 05/05/11 19:34:22.003 Ruby was unable to handle the command in reasonable amount of time <0xb708db90>
01 05/05/11 19:34:40.002 Ruby was unable to handle the command in reasonable amount of time <0xb708db90>
01 05/05/11 19:34:48.322 For obscure reasons could not handle the message <0xb5089b90>
01 05/05/11 19:34:48.322 For obscure reasons could not handle the message <0xb5089b90>

Thanks

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: TV Issue...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:22:42 am »
What type of TV is it?  My Sharp does the same thing.  If it has stopped working check if it is disabled in Webadmin

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 04:10:32 am »
it's an LG.  I'm using the template for newer LG TVs.

I found my problem though, I broke rule number one.  It took about 2 minutes before the MD would start controlling the TV.  Why is it taking so long all of a sudden is something I'll tackle in the morning.

I still have the original problem though.  If I press Power > Display Off, the TV turns off.  However, if I start playing media and press the power button at the bottom right, the TV stays on.  What ever media I'm playing stops, all devices turn off except the TV.  This all started all of a sudden, any ideas?

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:47:44 am »
I am also having problems with my LG (everything gets redetected when system is reloaded/restarted, and it's 50/50 whether it's working again afterwards).

My understanding is that it is a known bug to do with serial devices - have I got that right? Or is this some entirely different?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »
I woke up this morning and tried it again now it's working differently from just last night.  After a reload/reboot it connects to the TV much quicker, as soon as the orbiter is displayed the TV turns off (This is what I want).  If I try to watch Hulu or a video everything works as expected, the TV even turns off with everything else when I press the power button.  For some reason if I try to watch TV from my cable box or my blu-ray player the TV turns on then immediately turns off.  When I press power to stop watching media, the TV turns back on then turns off.  Last night it was working except it wouldn't turn the TV off now all it wants to do is turn the TV off.  It appears that I have full control of the TV if I go to resend AV codes and select them manually. 

I feel like someone is messing with me, It was working one way when I went to bed and a different way when I woke up... I just don't understand.

I did some searching and stumbled across this (http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/554).  Sounds very close to what I'm experiencing.  Does anyone have any more information on this?  Looks like this bug has been squashed but i think this is the same problem I'm experiencing. First think this morning the TV would turn on, Switch to the correct inputs, then switch back to HDMI2 (MD input).  I reloaded and it started turning off immediately after turning on.  I'll try the work around when I get home tonight. 

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:47 pm »
Purps - try the work around in that link I posted.  My TV isn't doing random channel changing or powering off unexpectedly anymore. 

I'm still having issues where it just wont work but it's easier to bring it back.  For example, last night I did a full regen of all orbiters and when it was all said and done my TV stopped working.  I did two quick reloads to try and rectify this(I waited ten minutes after each reloads), finally I rebooted that MD connected to the TV and it started working.  I've been having this issue since I last posted and sometimes a reload fixes it but sometimes I have to reboot the MD in question.  I'm trying to figure out why all of a sudden Lmce stops communicating with my TV?

I also noticed that since that night when all of this just started happening my nas sporadically goes off-line.  I now have to go into web admin and put a check in the "Online" box for the Nas.  After about 5 minutes my media is viewable from the orbiters but after a reload, reboot, or just some time with out use it goes offline again.  I don't know if all of this is somehow related, it's just really weird that everything was finally working and then all hell broke lose.  I wasn't even playing in the system at the time, just watching TV.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:37 pm »
The workaround (as svn is down right now I'm guessing but believe it is the 'external settop switching' workaround) will deal with the unexpected switching (back to MD) and perhaps some of the power on/off issues you were experiencing.  It won't deal with the dropouts of your equipment though.  The issue is solved but the patch has not been applied.

There have been known issues with USB->Serial adapters dropping off the usb bus and causing devices to be labelled as 'disabled'.  This sounds like the issue you are having with your TV when it 'stopped working'.  As serial ports are detected on reboot, but not router reload, you may experience times when you have to reboot your MD to get the adapter to respond.  Search around a bit there are lots of posts about usb->serial adapter headaches.  There are some adapters that work better (more reliably) than others I think.

I've also heard issues with re-detection, using the pnp scripts, of serial devices on reload/reboot, I'm not up on these issues atm though.

Sounds like you're being affected by all three of these issues.

J.

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:22 am »
My god,  when rains it pours.  Sound like I have a lot of work to do. 

I'll be honest,  lmce is a very humbling project. 

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:00 am »
Purps - try the work around in that link I posted.  My TV isn't doing random channel changing or powering off unexpectedly anymore. 

Thanks, but my TV was never doing that. Think I am witnessing another issue.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps