Author Topic: New TV but what to buy?  (Read 5289 times)

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New TV but what to buy?
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »
Hey guys,
it's time for a new TV and therefore i need your help.
I know we have lots of threats about that but i'm looking for something like 50" and 3D.
Is there a general rule i can follow like if it does upnp we will be able to control it (as soon as upnp is available in lmce).
Or does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Grind

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New TV but what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »
Hey guys,
it's time for a new TV and therefore i need your help.
I know we have lots of threats about that but i'm looking for something like 50" and 3D.
Is there a general rule i can follow like if it does upnp we will be able to control it (as soon as upnp is available in lmce).
Or does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Grind

I think it mostly comes down to personal preference.  As long as it can be controlled via usb, serial, or Ethernet is should work with Lmce.  Also keep in mind that most manufacturers, generally speaking, use the same code for all there TV's.  For example I have a 50" LG but I use the template for the 30" LG.  After examining the template and my owners manual i noticed all the codes except for the input codes are the same.  Here's the head scratcher, although the codes in the template are different from what's listed in my owners manual, and I know the codes in my owners manual work as i tested them, the codes in the template can still change the inputs on my TV. 

If I were you i'd look at the list of TV templates find your favorite brand and go from there.    Keep in mind the templates are not to hard to create, in case you buy an off brand.  From experience, you'll probably sleep better if you didn't buy a plasma or anything else susceptible to "Burn In".  Burn in's are not covered under your warranty and I'm very nervous that for what ever reason LMCE will freak out one day, reload the router, turn on my TV, but forget to turn it off. That would be the day you find me in a bell tower, j/k.

Or you can save yourself the research and just buy an LG.  LG rocks! That and Samsung, but I have an LG... so LG rocks. ;D

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:49:15 pm »
i would highly recommend an LG TV as well. the 2126 device template should control any LG TV that has a rs232 port labeled "control".

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:17:15 pm »
i would highly recommend an LG TV as well. the 2126 device template should control any LG TV that has a rs232 port labeled "control".

I 2nd it
  3rd it
 and 4th it  with my Three LG's 32" 37" and 47"

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »
My LG died a horrible death after 3 yrs and after repair lasted 3 months. I like my sharp

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:33:45 pm »
i cannot turn on my sharp via rs232 (le600). watch out!
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:55:55 pm »
If you're looking for 3D in 50" I highly recommend the Panasonic Vierra 3D Plasma televisions.  Great TV, controllable with RS-232.  I havn't submitted my template yet but it's working great.

J.

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:26:50 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!

Btw. i don't know if i even turned on my head while writing this post... Upnp and turning on the TV or switching the channels?! Sorry guys... :)

Does Sharp still sell TVs? Didn't see them in Germany for a looooong time :P

There are some nice Samsung TVs out there but i don't know if they have RS-232. Anyway, i would prefer having a USB-Port so that i don't need an additional RS232-USB-Converter.
I'll check whats available at my favourite store and report back but i think it'll be a Samsung, Pana or LG.

Cheers,
Nicolai

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:35:33 pm »
there arent any that can be controlled by usb that i know of.
what i really want is ethernet control, which it seems like LG could easily add since most of their TVs have ethernet ports now.

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:26 pm »
Another vote for LG here.  I have a 32" (two years) and a 40" (1 year) and never have had a days trouble.  They won out (on the basis of my preferred criteria at the time) on, features, appearance, aesthetics, and cost.  They are a lot of TV for the money.  I generally recommend that people look at LG - since they rebranded from goldstar they've got their act together.

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »
Indeed ethernet control would be nice but does any of the available TVs support that?
From my research so far there is no Samsung with RS232.
LG is at the moment the most interessting for me but Pana is also nice but they are much more expensive.

I'll have another look when i'm home.

grind

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 06:42:53 pm »
Looks like it's going to be the LG 47LX6500 which has a LED-Backlight, 3D and RS-232.

Thanks for your opinions!!!

Nicolai