When I first decided to try LMCE I wanted to keep costs to a minimum until I proved that I could actually get a system up and running. My system so far is:
- Hybrid Core with HDTV capture (OTA)
- 330G internal storage for videos and music
- Denon Receiver with in-wall speakers
- Insteon modem (1 light switch but more planned)
- 1-wire temp sensor (1 sensor but more planned)
- Gyration remote
It hasn't always been easy, but with help from the forums I've been able to get most things working (Insteon and 1-wire aren't up yet, but I'm working on it). Now I'm looking for input on the most cost effective ways to make the system more fun and more usable.
- Orbiters. Currently, my only control is the Gyration remote. My wife has an iPhone and an eeePC notebook (Windows) that I plan to set up as orbiters, but I've heard one of the best upgrades is to get a web pad with a touch screen.
- Telephone. This could pay for itself because I'm now paying 45US for a landline that I could eliminate. I checked into Broadvoice which looks like it is about 11US. I'm no expert on phone systems, but it looks like there are roughly two paths. I could get a VOIP phone like the Cisco 7970, or I could get an analog telephone adapter like the SPA3102 and use the phones I already own (I'm leaning this way).
- Security system. GE Caddx has rs232 connection and is inexpensive.
What do you think? Am I considering good upgrades? Are there better products than the ones I'm listed? Are there cost effective upgrades that I'm overlooking?