Author Topic: Sound problems.  (Read 5232 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Sound problems.
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:03 am »
So i got this gt210 because it supposedly was a good card. Guess not.
vdapu : non functional

hdmi audio: non functional.

Does anyone here have this exact card and have it working with hdmi audio?

Second. When before this previous install of linuxmce over the last few days (yes days thanks to sound problems) i had NO issues with onboard sound. Heck I never have had issues with the onboard sound. So while I know this is bad to ask, is there a fucking sledgehammer i can use to get rid of alsa and all its problems for ANYTHING else so I can move on with my life. Looking at my address bar, ive got over 20 windows open of sites with supposed fixes, but nothing works. So the question is

(1) do i keep wasting my life away with alsa?
(2) do i just try and clone my slowly going bad drive and go back to my old install?
(3) but all new hardware and hope it works? (yeah not happening)

Seriously, i know this may come of bitchy, but its frustrating to think your going forward only to have all the shiny new stuff be pretty much useless and a waste of time.

Ive tried the alsa upgrade script
ive tried god knows how many tweaks to /etc/modprobe/alsa-whateverthefuckitscalled.conf. no luck.

The only thing thats worked is removing the gt210 entirely from the system and relying on the onboard video and sound (which i can get to work without the 210 around) This is not ideal. But if its what I have to deal with, fine. I would just like a definite answer on what does and doesn't work. And please dont direct me to the hdmi audio wiki page. not really much there besides anecdotal experience and not much in the way of actual troubleshooting. Assume i have crawled over this forum already as linuxmce specific tweak take priority over the general ubuntu information ive found.

who knew in 2011 sound cards would still be a pain in the ass.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

pigdog

• View Profile
Re: Sound problems.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:07:25 pm »
Hi,

Don't know if this will help...

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=11415.0

...but to get HDMI audio working on my MD I had to upgrade alsa, set the MD KDE audio options, re-run the AVWizard.

Check things out with the command line aplay and cat proc queries.

Good Luck.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »
giving up and trying to install 1004. if that doesnt work, ill just continue using my bad Hard drive.

Beware installing 810...
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »
I had a few problems getting my HDMI sound working on my ASUS S1-AT5NM10E that I bought recently.
The problem seemed to be based around the sub-device being used by HDMI was not the default and the easiest way to get it working with LMCE was to use a probe-mask so that effectively I only had one sound device on the system.
Can you get sound doing
speaker-test c2 -D plughw:0,7
aplay -Dplughw:0,7 <some audio file>

With any of the devices? (ie: substitute the 7 for 3,8,9)

Enter the result of aplay -l and aplay -L

If you can get sound to work explicitly as above then you will be able to use a similar solution to mine.

ps: disable you onboard sound in the BIOS as well.

Regards
Darren

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:13 am »
I had a few problems getting my HDMI sound working on my ASUS S1-AT5NM10E that I bought recently.
The problem seemed to be based around the sub-device being used by HDMI was not the default and the easiest way to get it working with LMCE was to use a probe-mask so that effectively I only had one sound device on the system.
Can you get sound doing
speaker-test c2 -D plughw:0,7
aplay -Dplughw:0,7 <some audio file>

With any of the devices? (ie: substitute the 7 for 3,8,9)

Enter the result of aplay -l and aplay -L

If you can get sound to work explicitly as above then you will be able to use a similar solution to mine.

ps: disable you onboard sound in the BIOS as well.

Regards
Darren

after more discussion in irc with uplink, possy and tschak, i pretty much determined that im boned. Alsa is an inconsistent pos from version to version. Simple as that. Long story short as it was explained to me, different alsa versions need to be installed for different sound cards / devices. ALC887 (my onboard) works 'ok' with with the install i was trying to get away from with its failing disk. However, same drivers dont work on the same hardware on a new install. go figure.

We thought the diff was that alsa was at 1.0.18 and thats why my onboard was having issues. Turns out, thats the same version on my functional install. I am completely confused @ this point. I wish i could say there was a way to check what was compatible, but if that is changing all the time its a crapshoot and ive got no idea how to solve it.

I did try speakertest to the point of seeing it outputting information in the console,  but no sound. Over the past few days ive been through a hundred or so alsa related pages and nothing seems to work. So i guess im just stuck with this install until it dies then ??

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:09:53 am »
So i got this gt210 because it supposedly was a good card. Guess not.
vdapu : non functional

hdmi audio: non functional.

Not sure which card exactly you are trying but if you have vdpau issues AND hdmi sound issues you might try upgrading the nvidia driver.  I have a Palit nVidia GT210 512MB Fanless PCIe x16 2.0.  I had to upgrade the alsa drivers to 1.0.23.  To make things easier I disabled my motherboard onboard sound (negates issues with multiple sound cards and LMCE).  I may have completely replaced my /etc/asound.conf, I don't remember but I can post it if you'd like.

J.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:43 pm »
Not sure which card exactly you are trying but if you have vdpau issues AND hdmi sound issues you might try upgrading the nvidia driver.  I have a Palit nVidia GT210 512MB Fanless PCIe x16 2.0.  I had to upgrade the alsa drivers to 1.0.23.  To make things easier I disabled my motherboard onboard sound (negates issues with multiple sound cards and LMCE).  I may have completely replaced my /etc/asound.conf, I don't remember but I can post it if you'd like.

J.

I know this is old, but was this an MD or core you setup this card up on?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:47:32 am »
The card is currently running in my core/hybrid under 0810 and 1004.  I have the latest nvidia 270 drivers with alsa 1.0.24 drivers, alsa 1.0.23 worked as well, I disabled my onboard sound and used alsamixer to unmute the audio or you can run the following in a terminal:

Code: [Select]
amixer sset "IEC958,0" unmute
amixer sset "IEC958,1" unmute
amixer sset "IEC958,2" unmute
amixer sset "IEC958,3" unmute

My current setup is on the wiki.

J.

aico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:12:17 am »
HI,

I did a alsa update and sound over HDMI worked.

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2010/05/02/upgrade-alsa-1-0-23-on-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-10-04/

My LinuxMCE is 0810.

Regards
Johannes

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:19 am »
Thanks guys. Im beginning to believe its a hardware issue as im not only running also 1.0.24, but my mixer settings show everything is in order, i just have no sound from the HDMI port! Never the less, I think it truly is the hardware and im going to look into replacing it.

Thanks
golgoj4