5 (29.4%)
agocontrol
0 (0%)
LinuxMCE 1404
10 (58.8%)
LinuxMCE 1604
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: 710,810,1004 or what?  (Read 66899 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: 710,810,1004 or what?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »
Hmmm!!! Very nice!!!

Once I get my Obi110 set up, this will be great...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

essem_9

• Regular Poster
  • Fascinated by LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:06:51 am »
Thanks posde for verifying the Asterisk version. This sure will eliminate one box for me.

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »
Now that 12.04 is out ( and pretty awesome IMHO) are there still talks of this being built on that now?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 12:36:05 pm »
Eventually, LinuxMCE will utilize 1204 as the base.

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:23 pm »
Hi Gents

Silly question I know, but how much of the system is hooked into the kernel or specifically the version of ubuntu?

The reason I ask this is that it seems to be a pain to upgrade to a newer version of ubuntu, I understand that testing needs to be done to make sure
things work as they should and fix the bugs that are there.

Is there anyway that we can speed up the process of upgrading to the newest version of ubuntu when it comes out? (Esp for newer hardware support)

Regards
DAnie

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 04:42:22 pm »
I had the same question, years back,...

Short answer(s):
Yes, it hooks into kernel based services and is very specific to the branch it was developed on (mostly because slight changes in packages can break things very easily in LinuxMCE).

And,...

Yes, there are plans to upgrade,... eventually. But, as per above, it is a huge effort for the developers to change versions,... Both in terms of bug hunts, and taking advantage of new features and modes of operation from one version to the next. Presently, development is tied to Kubuntu 10.04, with a thought to go to Kubuntu 12.04. The idea is to stick to LTS versions, for stability and support. The time space in between them roughly matches the pace at which LinuxMCE can be updated and stabilized. Although, you'll find LinuxMCE 1004 is VERY stable for "pre-Alpha," or however it's categorized.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08:04 pm »
The problem is with the build system as far as I can tell, as it can be a nightmare to upgrade dependencies and the build system. In Dianemo, we dumped the historical build system and build debs on their own as the things they provide change. In most cases, we also just start with a copy of the repository when we go to a newer version and then just make the changes that are needed for things to work and rebuild just the affected debs. Unfortunately, I can't help LinuxMCE get onto this path - for various reasons, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else able to do this. I had the exact same problem in Dianemo (being Pluto-based and all) before I dropped the Pluto build system.

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07:50 pm »
Hi Gents

Just a quick silly question.

What part of the OS upgrade is taking so much time, is it the kernel/system hooks, is it testing?

The reason I ask is that MCE is very far behind Ubuntu, meaning we support less hardware.
Is there anyway we can optimize the upgrade process?

Regards
DAnie

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
What you need to understand is that LinuxMCE is more than just a bunch of apps running on top of a distro,... If it were, it would be trivial to update it to the latest version of Kubuntu. LinuxMCE is as much a change over a Kubuntu install as is a Kubuntu install is over a base Linux kernel... The whole DCE router system, the databases of devices, scenes, etc., ... the detection of hardware and integration into LinuxMCE's systems is all a level of complexity above what a normal distribution is.

In LinuxMCE, it's not just a bunch of disparate apps running. The different parts of the system talk to one another and coordinate. LinuxMCE actually allows you to share (many of the) devices from one machine to the next, almost as if they were running on the machine you are using at that time.

To help, the developers will tell you that you need to learn the system, and gain an appreciation for why things are done differently. Until you (or I) do, you will only be able to help with occasional niggles here or there where you might have some expertise.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:21:45 pm by JaseP »

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 02:47:18 pm »
just a bunch of apps running on top of a distro

Actually, that's exactly what it is :) And that's exactly what I treat it like. As I said before, it's almost certain that it's the build system holding things back, because it's based on some database content that needs to be updated for each and every distro, and THEN you do a full build each and every time, rather than just build the debs that change - when they change. Dianemo is based on the same software as LinuxMCE (forked from LinuxMCE 7.10, which was really Pluto 2 rebranded - we have a non-PPL commercial licence in case you wonder). You can't easily jump distros because you don't have someone (who isn't me - I'm not allowed, sorry) who can make you a new build system. Dianemo had a similar issue before I made the new build system. Now Dianemo can easily jump distros without a major rebuild (only packages that fail are changed) and the only reason there's no 12.04 Dianemo yet is that I don't actually have the time right now (only need a day), and 11.10 works just fine in the mean time.

I keep throwing you guys bones, only if you could find someone (who isn't me) to think and do it :) It only took me a day to get the database exported into deb package structures (that day was spent making the export script output everything correctly), and then a few chisel and caress them until they all built so I can apt-get them. And to create some meta packages so I can do a simple apt-get :)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 11:26:05 pm »
Ok then,... but one question,... Not allowed to share your export script?

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:13 am »
Ok then,... but one question,... Not allowed to share your export script?

Not even that. Plus, since it was a one off, I'm not even sure I still have it. Possy seems to have an good idea about what to do though.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 05:50:28 am »
OK,... Then it would fall to Posde to create the script... I've previously volunteered myself to help flesh out the meta data... Of course, I invoke the, "in my own damn good time," clause, in terms of time-tables for completion...

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:30 pm »
Can you add Dianemo S under Ubuntu 12.04LTS to the list please?

Thanks.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bri_jac

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:24 am »
Hi I just removed my vote from  08.10  and created a new vote to LMCE 10.04