Author Topic: Insteon How-To?  (Read 14292 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Insteon How-To?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 02:35:18 am »
Well, from this link...
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Running_the_Insteon_PLM_Driver_for_the_First_Time
we find the following...

Running for the first time

Initially, the driver needs at least ONE active lighting device. To add a device to the Insteon PLM, you will need to hold down the set button on the Insteon PLM for 10 seconds. Then go to a light and hold down the on button on a light until the light flashes. The driver will download this device's database and attempt to extract other Insteon ID's from it. Then it goes out and PINGS those devices in turn, to find out what kind of device they are. Once that is finished, it attempts to download each device's database, in turn, looking for more Insteon devices. This procedure, nicknamed 'Spidering', continues until all devices and device links are recognized. Once this 'Spider' is complete, the driver reports all detected devices, to LinuxMCE.

I find this ambiguous. The work "initially" could mean before wizarding the device, or it could mean after the wizard but before using it. I called tech support at Smarthome today. He said the PLM had minimal documentation because everything depends upon the software. He said my light switch and PLM have never been linked, based upon my description of the behavior. The PLM set button only needs 3 seconds to enter link mode, not 10. The light switch should beep twice and the LED will not remain blinking after link is established. That has never happened. Interference could be an issue - I might try turning off all circuit breaker in the house except the ones for the computer, PLM and light circuit. The lights are on an AFCI breaker but this is not an issue. He said that the link is usually accomplished by the software instead of manually, but he was not familiar with LinuxMCE. He recommended that I consider purchasing a lamp module and performing my initial tests with that device plugged in to the PLM's receptacle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:22:09 am by twodogs »
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:41 pm »
So, almost two years later I'm dragging my insteon gear out back out of the box. I have a serial modem and a light switch. I used the 1932 template to install the modem. Looks like that went OK - the log shows 2500 lines of code and the device appears to start when I reboot. Also the LED on the modem shows serial activity. I cross linked the insteon gear by pressing and holding the buttons on the light switch and modem. I think this went OK because the modem turned the light on.
My question is now what? Is the modem supposed to tell LMCE that it has a connected light, or do I have to manually create the device?
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:27:45 pm »

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 02:53:50 am »
I'm trying to follow the written guidance but having no luck. Here is now I spent the evening.
  • Reset the modem to default (unplug for 10 sec then plug back in holding the reset button for 3 seconds). By the way, modem was serially connected to LMCE during the reset. Seems to go OK.
  • Reset the light switch to default (press top paddle for 10 sec, then tap reset button, then push and hold reset button for 10 seconds). Seems to go OK.
  • Create PLM device (admin, template 1932, select serial port 0 for my installation). Seems to go OK - software downloads, logs are filled with code, LED on PLM shows activity.
  • Plug in the insteon light switch. Nothing magically happens. I think this is normal - have to link the switch to the PLM.
  • Link the switch to the PLM (press/hold paddle on light switch until the led on the switch starts blinking, press/hold set button on PLM until its LED flashes).
  • LMCE reset router to see if light magically appears. It doesn't.
  • Maybe I have to crosslink the switch (press/hold set button on PLM, then press/hold paddle on light switch).
  • LMCE reset router to see if light magically appears. It doesn't.
  • Manually create light switch device (admin, light switch template, enter six digit hex code from sticker on light switch)
  • LMCE reset router. I look in admin to check the newly added light. The "configuration" box is just asterisks (***************). Switch doesn't work.

Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:53:49 am by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:01:17 pm »
Success!

I disconnected everything and reset to factory default. Then I connected PLM and Switchlink and crosslinked them. Then I connected to LMCE core and recreated the PLM device. I checked the PLM log to see if it found the hex address of the Switchlink - it did.

I used admin to manually add a light switch device. When I reset the router and returned to admin to look at the device, I saw that the configuration box had been magically filled in (no longer just asterisks). The light did not work at first, so I thought I still had problems. But after a few minutes, I had a working switch. I wish I could say that I identified and solved the problem I was having - maybe the insteon devices were not properly crosslinked.
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101