Author Topic: Too much time for Network booting  (Read 3153 times)

electric_flesh

• View Profile
Too much time for Network booting
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:17:26 pm »
Hello friends,

I hope you can help me with this issue:

1.- Ive set the Diskless MD PC to boot from PXE. The HDD is out.

2.- Ive created the Image using the admin web interface at the Core. Appeared "finished setting up diskless Media Directors".

3.- I boot the MD PC (client), Appear "booting vmlinuz..." and all that stuff. The MD has its own IP adress and all seems to be ok, but the screens shows:

Begin: Running /scripts/nfs-premount...
Done.

4.- I wait for about 5 minutes (or more) and the screens shows "connect: connection timed out".

5.- I wait for 30 minutes or more, then the MD PC starts. Everything works fine (video playback, audio, etc), but i still have to wait up 40 minutes to get the media director working...!!!

Please help me.. what can i do? i cant find and answer on forums, please, i want to donate to the project, but i need to know how to make it work. Thanks for your help.

Regards from Santiago de Chile. :)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Too much time for Network booting
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:35:35 am »
hello electric_flesh,

good to know, that the MD finally did boot up.

See if the next boot ups are as time consuming as the first. My bet is, that the following bootups are much faster. Please report back.

electric_flesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »
Ok,

We reboot the client again, but its the same thing. Around 1 hour waiting to boot.

Once the MD boots, it works  fine: DVDs, audios, streaming, everything works. The problem is the large amount of time the MD takes to launch.

The message "Connection: timed out" is still appearing (the screen keeps on there), but i still have to wait a lot of time.

We have done this process 4 times with the same results.

Any idea about this situation?

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »
Smells like network. Check cables (with a tester, or swap for known good), make sure nothing else on internal network is broadcasting dhcp.
I never quit... I just ping out.

electric_flesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
OK, the problem was solved when we replace the switch. :P Now the MD's take 2 to 4 minutes to boot. Problem solved.

Thanks a lot guys. We are moving forward with the full implementation of LinucMCE. Thank you very much for your help.