Author Topic: Latest install (mce-install.sh) for 10.04 is failing  (Read 5481 times)

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Latest install (mce-install.sh) for 10.04 is failing
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »
Failure during install of corefonts - downloads from "downloads.sourceforge.net" timing out.

The install scripts then aborts - tail from console below...  :-\

-Tony

øser kent.dl.sourceforge.net... mislykkedes: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `kent.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2011-11-24 17:41:28--  http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Løser umn.dl.sourceforge.net... mislykkedes: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `umn.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2011-11-24 17:41:38--  http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Løser switch.dl.sourceforge.net... 130.59.138.21, 2001:620:0:1b::21
Connecting to switch.dl.sourceforge.net|130.59.138.21|:80... forbundet.
HTTP forespørgsel sendt, afventer svar... 302 Found
Sted: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe?download&failedmirror=switch.dl.sourceforge.net [omdirigeret]
--2011-11-24 17:41:38--  http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe?download&failedmirror=switch.dl.sourceforge.net
Løser downloads.sourceforge.net... mislykkedes: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `downloads.sourceforge.net'
andale32.exe: No such file or directory

All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
dpkg: fejl under behandling af msttcorefonts (--configure):
 underproces installed post-installation script returnerede afslutningsstatus 1
Sætter libsdl1.2debian-all (1.2.14-4ubuntu1.1) op...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Der opstod fejl under behandlingen:
 msttcorefonts
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
An error (Exit code 100) occured during the last action
Initial media and dcerouter install
root@dce:~#

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Latest install (mce-install.sh) for 10.04 is failing
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:55:57 pm »
Obviously, it does exactly what it is suppose to do. Die when there is a problem with a key component. Retry, and let us if you have more success.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:01:34 pm »
We have GOT to move to liberty fonts. As MS fonts cannot be distributed, if they are not available from random servers at just the right time, this happens. It crashes and orbiters cannot gen.

I find the DB confusing. I will try harder.
I never quit... I just ping out.

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:07:23 pm »
Obviously, it does exactly what it is suppose to do. Die when there is a problem with a key component. Retry, and let us if you have more success.

Obviously, then all is good (who needs a working install anyway)....

(or less obvious - perhaps this error was reproduced 4 times, and perhaps somethings got broken and needed to be updated). Been doing software dev. for too many years not to consider if a problem is persistent or not... Like the fact that the 470Mb'ish wizard-videos got fetched 4 times in the second install, but not in the first, third and fourth - and that had no effect on the outcome which for all 4 instances was exactly a described above - hence probably not relevant to report...

-Tony (only slightly annoyed)

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »
videos come from LMCE, msttcorefonts from various servers. The ms font installer is also very finicky about time. If it does not get a response it wants in a very short time it switches to another location, many of whom are not available.

Only common thread is your pipe. When one of those big vids fails it starts over. The fact that those specific things are failing leads me to believe it is an internet connectivity issue on your end. If I were to hazard a guess, I would look for packet drops.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:20:53 pm by l3mce »

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:30:58 pm »
videos come from LMCE, msttcorefonts from various servers. The ms font installer is also very finicky about time. If it does not get a response it wants in a very short time it switches to another location, many of whom are not available.

Only common thread is your pipe. When one of those big vids fails it starts over. The fact that those specific things are failing leads me to believe it is an internet connectivity issue on your end. If I were to hazard a guess, I would look for packet drops.

Except, quite selective packet drops... Since everything else is fetching as it is supposed to... But your are probably right, timeout setting are just a tad too aggressive. Will try again later :-)

-Tony

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »
Yeah... the MS fonts timeouts are way aggro... the videos are the biggest continuous downloads. I would absolutely expect, if it is a connection problem, for the skins, the pluto-avwizard-sounds, msttcorefonts to be the victims. Or one other I can't think of at the moment that is upwards of 100megs...

I am on the way ass end of an extended range DSL. When it rains, those are all the downloads which kill me. I believe one of these jackass farmers has an electric fence with a bad ground next to a junction... so... I am familiar with these specific things dying.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:40:03 pm by l3mce »

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:26 pm »
Just an observation for the developers: I reinstalled 10.04 today, got stuck at sqlcvs postinstall. I realised /usr/bin/php was missing.

Remedy:
apt-get install php5-cli
dpkg --configure -a
rerun mce-install.sh

So far, it seems to have worked ok.

/Joakim
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:07:12 pm by JoakimL »

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 01:31:05 pm »
Nahh, didn't work... I knew I was a bit optimistic when rerunning the installer, but it actually looked quite good.
Clonezilla did its job and the disk is now back to the state before the LMCE install.

/Joakim

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 02:37:03 pm »
Nahh, didn't work... I knew I was a bit optimistic when rerunning the installer, but it actually looked quite good.
Clonezilla did its job and the disk is now back to the state before the LMCE install.

/Joakim

That is not what I have been seeing...
I ended up downloading msttcorefonts.deb from "somewhere" - and installed that with dpgk -i

Then I reran the installer script - and it appears to be working. Not sure it is "clean" which is what I have hoped for, so something might break in the future, just from the fact that something in my install is not "standard"....

Oh, and 1 odd thing - I newer gets to the AV Wizard, it fails to load some X config (default)... And then I get the "Starting Linux MCE" text, followed by adding few hundreds packages... And voila! I have a working UI1 orbiter :-) and start in House Setup... (which then chrashed :-(

EDIT: Well actually did not crash - but "enter" threw it to start/log in to Kubuntu...

-Tony
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:39:17 pm by toppot »