Author Topic: LinuxMCE with HAI devices  (Read 10183 times)

jacac

• View Profile
LinuxMCE with HAI devices
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:43:34 am »
Hello,

I would like to setup my house with HAI devices and LinuxMCE. I saw in the in the changelog that support was added to HAI but I'm not sure what I need to buy to combine those system, or what is the best/recommended setup.

Would it be enough to get the HAI PIM, LMCE core and HAI devices to get started or do I need to get OMNI PRO Panel as well.

What do I want to archive:
- lighting control via WebOS/iOS
- audio/vidoe control through multiple room
- security
- irrigation
- voip

If somebody has any suggestions and experiences with HAI, I would love to hear it.

Thanks kindly,
Jacac
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:47:33 am by jacac »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE with HAI devices
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:24:37 am »
los93sol wrote the HAI Omni driver for LinuxMCE, as far as I know, if you have it connected via IP, the system should detect it and install itself.

I also do remember Adam spending considerable time on device introspection, to automatically create devices it finds attached to the HAI equipment.

But why HAI? Is this an existing investment? Keep in mind, that LinuxMCE can mix and match devices from many different busses and have them interact together.

-Thom

jacac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:22 pm »
I would like to go with a wired solution. Somehow I don't feel good about all the extra frequency waves added.
I've read a lot of good things about KNX but they don't support 120V the same thing with PLCBUS.

That is the reason for my choice. If I'm off, let me know.

Thanks and happy weekend.
Jacac

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:05 pm »
There are indeed KNX components that work on 120V. KNX is an international standard.

-Thom

jacac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:03:57 am »
I was trying to find anything here in Canada, without luck. Do you have any websites where I could find devices working 120V?

Thanks,
-Jacac

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:11:56 am »
I've updated the wiki. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/EIB/KNX_Devices#EIB.2FKNX_in_the_USA has some additional information.

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:32 am »
Essentially all you need is a KNX power supply, suitable for 110V.  That provides the bus voltage and another low voltage supply.  All of the mains switching is done using outputs.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:30 am »
trentend,

it depends on the devices. My actors (MDTAutomation) all need 230V mains to function at all.

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:33:49 pm »
trentend,

it depends on the devices. My actors (MDTAutomation) all need 230V mains to function at all.

Okay.  There are ways of doing it (particularly if you centralise services and use din rail mounted units) without needing specific voltage devices.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »
trentend, can you expand upon that KNX page, with the relevant information, then?

There are definitely those of us in the US who wish to investigate all the possibilities of what is honestly, one of the best automation buss options out there.

-Thom

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:59 am »
trentend, can you expand upon that KNX page, with the relevant information, then?

There are definitely those of us in the US who wish to investigate all the possibilities of what is honestly, one of the best automation buss options out there.

-Thom

I can.  I'm intending to document my own KNX setup, but crashed into a problem of making the page that I collected appear on the user setup list.  I also have a bit of a problem with work at the moment (a systems and networking crisis that is requiring around the clock work).

What do I need to do to publish/edit pages?

Also I notice that people are talking about ETS3 here.  ETS4 is out.  I haven't upgraded yet, and am only trained on ETS3.  Nevertheless I have a lot of the official documentation for how the KNX system works and ETS3 training materials.

If you want to give me a specific documentation task, I will aim to complete it in a timely fashion.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:31 am »
It's a public wiki, just create an account, and go. :)

official documentation on how KNX works, and ETS3 training materials would be nice for LinuxMCE, definitely :)

-Thom

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
It's a public wiki, just create an account, and go. :)

official documentation on how KNX works, and ETS3 training materials would be nice for LinuxMCE, definitely :)

-Thom

Obviously I have to respect copyright, but I'll review the materials and do a summary.  Can you add graphics to the wiki, if so how?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »
yes, as image attachments.

-Thom

jacac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »
Thanks for all those replies. It would be great to see a demo setup.

Appreciate it,
-Jacac