Author Topic: xine-lib and video playback issues?  (Read 36954 times)

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: xine-lib and video playback issues?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 06:44:57 pm »
Seems to work for me as well. Thanks!

BTW, the second step of installing the pluto-xine-player....deb is no longer needed as it appears that the most recent upgrade of 8.10 contains a later version. This step downgraded the file so I did an apt-get install pluto-xine-player which seems to have installed the later version.
One error I got with this step is that "Alsa not installed yet. Can't run alsaconf" is this correct? Should I install alsa and then re-run it? Thanks again.

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:33 pm »
I recently updated an md with the "updated" version of xine-player via apt-get, but it apprerently does not contain the same fix phenigma implemented; because I again had some videos that would not work.  After reapplying the downloaded .deb everything went back to good... So, I would recommend not updating xine-player via apt-get just install the deb manually...

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 06:33:13 pm »
Sorry guys.  I've been away from my computers for a while due to health issues.  The pluto-xine-player from the 0810 repository will use the libxine1.  So if it is upgraded from the repo it will revert to old playback capabilities.

The updated .deb for pluto-xine-player in the first post of this thread will use libxine2.  It will say that it is a 'downgrade' when you manually install the .deb.  I highly recommend using libxine2 and the updated pluto-xine-player, they work great for all my media issues.  Because I've been away I'm not sure if there have been updates to pluto-xine-player since I built the package.  If there have been I can build a new one to stay current with the svn tree.  There has been no interest in having these updates added to svn.

Since this, and a few other additions/bug fixes, are things I use as permanent replacments I may look into setting up a small repository somewhere so these can be grabbed automatically with apt.

I am also experimenting with the 1004 libxine2 (again) as I am having issues in 1004 with AAC multi-channel audio content, and some video, which I got working in 0810 with up to date source of libxine2 and by updating the libfaad2 included with libxine2 as it was old.

J.

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 10:40:16 pm »
I just tried it out and it works nicely on my MD. Though the nvidia driver complained during install, that the x-server was running and that causes installation to fail.
However I was able to watch a beforehand unplayable mkv.
Great job :-)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »
Terrific!  Great to hear.  I do actually have the nvidia driver packaged up for 0810 running with DKMS and it doesn't complain at all for me.  I'll see about getting it updated in the first post when I have a chance.

J.

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:24 pm »
Hi There

I have followed all the steps mentioned to fix .mkv files, but it has not helped, when I play a .mkv file it is just stuttering, the Nvidia drivers and Libxine2 fixed the 100% CPU but the video is still terrible, is there anything else that I can try?

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run - Done
libxine2 - Done
pluto-xine-player - was already a later version
VDPAU - Done

MD = Zotac ION ATOM 330

Regards
LMCEcape

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 12:09:18 am »
I have the same exact pci-x nvidia card in three mds two of which work great; the third seems to have an issue like yours.  I'm thinking there something with the card and I'm going to be trading it for one of the other mds to test.

the video starts fine, but then after a while the cpu usage jumps to nearly 100% and the video gets studdering... the wierd part is that its the same exact card on each md.  Don't know if that helps at all there LmceCape; but I'll let you know if my troubles seem to stem from the card itself.

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 07:55:00 am »
Hi Joerod

Mine never starts fine it always studders, since I installed libxine2 and Nvidia-260.19.36 the CPU is fine.

I don't know what else to try.

These boards are supposed to be able to run 1080p HD content.

LMCEcape

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 10:42:14 am »
Do the graphics have the maximum amount of RAM dedicated to them in BIOS?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:03 pm »
The only thing I can manipulate in the bios as far as graphics goes is the framebuffer and it is set to 512 (max)

Nothing I do seems to help ???

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »
Yeah that's what I meant.

I have to say, that before I applied this fix, MKVs would either play or not play (mostly not play) - I never saw any juddering.

Maybe try using UI1 temporarily, see if that's anything to do with it? Sorry, clutching at straws here. Is this a new mobo, or have you had it working before?

If it were me, I would be tempted to attach a hard disk, stick ubuntu on it, and see if you get smooth playback with that. Then you'll know whether it's the hardware.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »
OK here are the results

Got a test ASUS EB1501 from a friend, installed it as an MD and followed all the xine,libxine,nvidia stuff with the same results.

Installed Windows 7 on both.

Windows: The all my HD .MKV files run perfectly on both PCs', no problems.

As MDs': Both have perfect sound, if leave them on XV, the picture is much better but it runs out of CPU in about 2min. If set to VDPAU the CPU usage is low but the Video shudders horribly.

So, the hardware can play 1080P full HD MKV files under windows.

What do I try next?

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
I still haven't had a chance to troubleshoot my problem yet, but I'm pretty sure its my video card.  Anyways; I've heared alot of people talking about this being extremely common due to network problems.  I think I'm pretty safe ruleing this out for my issue given that the other two mds play hd content just fine.  But as for LmceCape I would prolly try the ubuntu usb stick trick and try to play hd content straight from the computer not the network... or at least try to somehow rule out network bandwidth deficiency

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »
If anyone has an MKV that they have problems with playing, please PM me with a location where I can download it from, to test it locally.

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 08:47:41 pm »
when this patch first came out 95% of my videos worked that didn't work before and i read (somewhere on the internet, not on these forums) that this is a problem with the compression of some mkv headers and I had to use mkvmerge and choose "no compression" before muxing.  Then the new file that came out worked awesome.  I think this may help some folks so we don't have to bother posde so much...