Author Topic: Installation Freezes After Selecting Install LinuxMCE  (Read 7415 times)

redir

• View Profile
Installation Freezes After Selecting Install LinuxMCE
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »
Hello all.

The Machine:

GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA1156 Mini-ITX
Intel i3-530 Processor at 2.93GHz
2GB DDR3 RAM
Instruction Set: 64-bit
Intel HD Graphics
2TB Sata HD
HDMI out to TV
SPDIF out to Receiver

The Problem:

Insert the AMD64 CD and boot up gave message about switching from IDE to AHCI in BIOS which I did.
Next boot came to start up menu with three options, Install LMCE, Boot from HD, something else I forgot but not option to run live CD.
Select Install LMCE.
Begins installation and then just hangs. The DVD drive light stops flickering so it's not even spinning I suspect.

Next, I try the 32 Bit installation.
This goes much further but stalls again on a black screen. I cannot see any messages or access any logs.

Next boot off of the 32 bit installation and run Kubuntu off of the live CD. This works ok so now I don't suspect that the Intel HD Graphics are at fault.

This machine is not connected to the Internet at this time. Is that the problem?

I am going to try and install Kubuntu 7.10 first and then see what happens.

Any suggestions? I tried to install with acpi=no noapic nolapic with no result.

Regards

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Installation Freezes After Selecting Install LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:23 am »
Hi there. A few things...

1. Use 810, and until further notice, 32bit is the only option.
2. Use a snapshot. http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/ 
3. The graphics chipset is not going to work well, if at all.
4. Follow this wiki. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810
5. Yes, it absolutely has to be connected to the internet. In fact the internet needs to be on eth0, and your internal network on eth1.
I never quit... I just ping out.

redir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:28 pm »
Hi there. A few things...

1. Use 810, and until further notice, 32bit is the only option.
2. Use a snapshot. linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/ 
3. The graphics chipset is not going to work well, if at all.
4. Follow this wiki. wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810
5. Yes, it absolutely has to be connected to the internet. In fact the internet needs to be on eth0, and your internal network on eth1.

Ok great, thanks for the info. I'll be back at it tonight and probably back with more questions.

regards

redir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »
Well, I still can't get it to install. It's a lot closer though. Now I go through the installation menu's and add a username and password then it begins the installation and hangs on installing the ext3 file system. It gets to 5% really fast and then hangs there. Finally it goes to the login splash screen and I try to log in with the credentials I set up and get a log in failed. When I reboot it hangs on ...loading the operating system...

Something is installed just not the whole thing. Because I went to install Ubuntu 9.10 on it and it tells me that there is already an OS installed. BTW Ubuntu installs with no problem.

According to Intel this chipset is good on Linux Kernel 2.6 or higher. It's part of the reason I went with this machine  >:(

Anyway I don't see how it could be the graphics seeing that it works just fine running off the live cd. Should I put one of my Nvidia cards in it and try you think?

What I am thinking is that it doesn't like to be installed on a 2TB drive. I tried partitioning it and I tried installing on the whole drive to no avail.

Any suggestions?

alx2k

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »
I don't think it's because of the HDD, unless it is a faulty one.

Can you select 32-bit instruction set?

Can you perform the install with a vga screen (at a later point you'll change it to VGA).

As l3mce said, have you grabbed the snapshot from http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/  ??

Right now I have LinuxMCE-8.10-23753-i386.iso and works for me, I saw a post saying that someone had problems with LMCE splash screen comming up with the latest snapshot.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »
That's interesting, I have had problems with that snapshot http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=11488.0

I can't say for certain whether the problems manifested themselves specifically after I installed the Realtek r8168 driver or not, but one thing I can say is that I never had these problems with snapshot 23388.

alx2k, what hardware have you got?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

redir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »
Matt,

I listed the hardware in my OP, let me know if there is any other thing I didn't list and I'll find out. I think I may try the 1004 install, apparently there is work being done on that. Is there a recommended partition scheme? I was planning on just doing the whole drive rather than dealing with partitions.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
redir is this new hardware?  If you are hanging during the os install that usually indicates a problem in hardware.  I have had this happen to me before using old hardware.  Usually I have a problem with memory.  Running memtest from the dvd before you start your install could rule out the memory as being a problem.

Running the live cd puts your graphics card in vesa mode for compatibility.  If you manage to get the os installed the graphics card will initially be in vesa mode until you try to install the drivers for intel graphics(this may or may not work automatically during the lmce portion of the install).  This is where the fun will begin.  If you manage to get the os installed there is no guarantee you will be able to utilize everything the intel graphics has to offer.  Nvidia is really the best way to go.  Nvidia is the best supported in the linux world.

My suggestion is to buy an inexpensive nvidia graphics card and disable the intel graphics.  Then you will need to figure out what in hardware is preventing the os from installing.  If you find that the memory is fine then there is probably an incompatibility with your hardware and linux.  Do some searches for that mobo to see if anyone else has had issues and if there are any work arounds.  There are a number of 2.6 kernel iterations and just because the manufacturer says it will work on 2.6 or higher does not mean they have tested it on all of them. 

I bought a Hauppauge usb tuner that I got to work with lmce0810.  Based on that I bought two more.  The tuner changed slightly from when I first bought it till when I bought the additional two.  The later rev tuners did not work with the kernel being used in 0810.  I believe the kernel used in 0810 is 2.6.28.  The kernel used in 1004 2.6.32 and the kernel used in 1010 is 2.6.35.  The last two tuners I purchased work with the 2.6.35 kernel and not the earlier two kernels without a lot of monkeying around with the kernel.  I guess what I am saying is just because they say it is so don't mean it is. 

redir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:21:44 pm »
Yup ok thanks for the help. I managed to get Kubuntu 1004 installed so I'm going to give it a go with 104 and see how it works. If I cannot get that to work then I will go back to 810 and use an Nvidia card that I have laying around.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »
I would use your Nvidia card anyway, I don't think you will be able to get UI2 to work with the Intel GPU