Author Topic: Findings while working on alternative install DVD...  (Read 300828 times)

gtsupport

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Findings while working on alternative install DVD...
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:10 pm »
I'm trying the latest snapshot which ends in 25824 and have no dhcpd.conf file. I have also tried the previous snapshot, and also the web install, all have the same problem. Am trying to manually write a dhcpd.conf file, not as easy as I was hoping!

Matt
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2012, 11:00:52 pm »
You shut your mouth.

er...

I believe (read "hope") you have the version prior to most current, which I just worked out this morning. The most recent snapshot which works without this issue SHOULD be http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/LMCE-1004-20120407002125844.iso
Give that a try.

*was trying to be funny... don't take that the wrong way

as per possy's post... outside of today, latest does not necessarily mean best or even stable. Until it is tested we will not know. Typically you should look at the snapshot wiki for the BEST version to run. I simply fixed a big problem (I believe) this morning with all snapshots, making all options workable. Snapshots are created when new builds happen, even if my snapshot code is not stable. Be forewarned.

Looking back I would expect that version you had to have dhcp. To be clear... You have 2 nics, yes? and you did not interrupt the install process, or the two boots after the install...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:50:39 am by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

gtsupport

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »
Hi,
First things first, yes I have 2 NICs and no I didn't interrupt the install process at all.  Could it be due to the fact that with 8.10 my machine didn't like the R8169 module, and I had to blacklist it??  Seems like there is some kind of problem with the DHCP3 server.  The crazy thing is that when I first switched over to 1004, then I didn't have to change anything, and the system worked fine with both NICs, has done since around Oct/Nov last year.  I've been away for a couple of months at the start of this year, came back and did the old apt-get update/upgrade to keep up to date and now I can't seem to get a working system with 1004.

Anyway, back to the snapshot testing, I have tried several times to download newer shapshots over the last couple of days, today I just tried the newest one 201204092213 and found that after the install and first reboot, it hangs at:-
ssh start/running, process 2396                                              OK

It waits there indefinitely.  I'm happy to send you any logs if you need them.  For now I'm going to try reverting back to 8.10 to keep the family happy, but have partitioned the HDD so can keep trying snapshots of 1004 late at night until it works.

Matt.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »
I have been working to fix new errors I created fixing others. You aren't alone in your frustration with the snapshots. The one created this morning works correctly except for one tiny little bug. When avwizard starts the first time, it provides an xorg.conf, so switching outputs (pressing 1, or 3 or whatever) doesn't stick. I hope to have that little bug fixed today. Thank you very much for your persistence. If you want to test the new one, everything should work well, save that you will have to drop to a terminal and kill that xorg.conf before switching/continuing so as to not have auto-generated values overriding your settings.
http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/LMCE-1004-20120410150425862.iso

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »
I've been following along here and decided to download the most recent snap LMCE-1004-20120423001425928.iso
I tried loading it in Virtualbox as I wanted to try out a headless core install.
I get an error
Code: [Select]
Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfsthen dumped into busybox.
Is this image a dud or can I give you any info from it to help resolve the issue?

-Coley.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »
It's b0rken - LMCE-1004-20120423221925928.iso should work better.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:41 pm »
It's b0rken - LMCE-1004-20120423221925928.iso should work better.
I don't see that up there under /snapshots/ yet, is there an eta?

thx
-Coley.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
It was manually build, and not moved to the output directory that gets moved to iptp every few hours. Wait a bit and it should appear.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »
Ok there seem to be  afew threads knocking about with people testing the snaps.
L3mce - do you have a preference on which one to report findings?

Tried the latest snap - headless core.
Installs fine but MD boot fails.
We get an IP addr and pxe booting starts, but it fails to find a config file, either under its MAC addr or a default one.

Can I provide any more info?

I'll try a hybrid install on another VM and see if it operates differently.

-Coley.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2012, 02:07:01 am »
I will wait on hybrid results.

Core only install works very different than anything prior. The MD stuff has always been installed by default, and then a tiny one character change has been made to the pluto.conf file to produce a core only system. I no longer create various tables in the DB for the core, and a lot of things simply aren't installed, and if this behavior is daughtered to MDs, then it is no wonder that they fail (w regard to package installs only). So I am very curious if you CAN install a hybrid and MD's just magically work, whether or not I can address those issues, or cheat and setup a headless to support an md... I would prefer to do an actual core only install.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2012, 04:14:20 pm »
Ok hybrid install - MD still fails to boot.
there is no default dir under /tftpboot/
I'm guessing running Diskless_create_TBZ.sh would sort it all out but I think there is another thread where someone else also had probs getting an MD to boot with snap one itreration later than this.

-Coley.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2012, 01:29:58 am »
Ok hybrid install - MD still fails to boot.
there is no default dir under /tftpboot/
I'm guessing running Diskless_create_TBZ.sh would sort it all out but I think there is another thread where someone else also had probs getting an MD to boot with snap one itreration later than this.

-Coley.

Interesting. This was all previously working. I will do some testing tonight on my end, and talk with the big guy about whats going on if my results are different. I believe you are correct however, had another user do an install this morning with the same results... and yes TBZ will almost certainly fix it, but the idea is to avoid that ;)

Thanks so much for the feedback.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2012, 11:11:15 am »
Hi,

Snapshot LMCE-1004-20120425171925932.

Hybrid Core + MD Install
Core has a Nvidia GT220
MD is a Zotac MAG HD-ND01

Installed fine. Only thing that I had to do is run Diskless_create_TBZ.sh

Atm core and MD are connected to LCD screens via the Dsub port. Going to connect to Via HDMI now.
Holding thumbs for Zotac to get HDMI Video and Audio.

Karel

Then X10 and 1-wire to be tested.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2012, 03:25:00 pm »
For the life of me.... I cant get the Avwizard to start on the core
Or md, so that I can change the outputs to hdmi.

Pressing the shift key while booting
From the orbiter under advanced Video Res & Audio setup
From the cli running RebootWithAVWizard.sh

None of these work... Any ideas?

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2012, 02:56:46 pm »
tested http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/LMCE-1004-20120429132625935.iso VM hybrid and headless installs.
Neither have a correctly populated /tftpboot/  :(

I'll check if I have an older iso snap and see how that gets on.

-Coley.

btw recommended snap on wiki no longer exists - is there a currently recommended snap? I can update.