Author Topic: Findings while working on alternative install DVD...  (Read 300851 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Findings while working on alternative install DVD...
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:33 am »
Ok... getting fluffy to build the way my stuff is building is problematic. First reports on testing this were less than champagne worthy.

Until we get an iso that works right, I hazard against dual booting... of course, the way this one failed, you won't get that close. If you DO want to dual boot, I STRONGLY recommend getting clonezilla and creating a full backup of your current drive prior to alteration in case things go poorly.

(A small hint, delete the contents of your /home/public/data/pvr/livetv folders before backing up... will save a LOT of time and unnecessary space).
I never quit... I just ping out.

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2012, 06:53:06 am »
Took your advice and stayed away from side by side installation. Created a vm on my core and loaded the .iso, Installation screen came up & I picked install lmce. Crashed soon afterwards at (initramfs). Should I have loaded something else first? ???
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:00 pm »
Took your advice and stayed away from side by side installation. Created a vm on my core and loaded the .iso, Installation screen came up & I picked install lmce. Crashed soon afterwards at (initramfs). Should I have loaded something else first? ???

No, I will get a snapshot wiki site up and running for us to follow, like I did with 0810.
First need te get one working first ;)

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2012, 05:54:32 pm »
Thanks Bongo

Feel a bit  :-[ here in the developer section, cos I ain't no developer.  But l3mce did ask to post findings.

I've tried to attach a screenshot, hope it works ???
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »
bushtech,

thanks for the screenshot. That loop error has been fixed in the latest snapshot.

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2012, 07:29:34 pm »
Thanks posde

Now for a bandwidth deprived, is it possible to get that change into my .iso without downloading the latest snapshot?

Apologies if this is a stupid question

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2012, 01:29:34 am »
It is not I am afraid... it has to do with how the filesystem is compressed before the iso is created.

That is fixed now, and networking should be fixed as well. I have 3 known issues...

1 vesa drivers (for people installing in virtual machines) are not being loaded when hitting a driver it doesn't know (InnoTek in the case of my VM). I can sneak in while avwizard starts with a sed command and replace InnoTek with vesa, and it boots fine. It uses the ATI/nVidia/intel drivers correctly however.

The second issue is the desktop. After install, clicking KDE Desktop from teh orbiter craps out with an error about kstartupconfig4 file. If you can still test given these conditions, it is appreciated.

The third issue is that an extra networking thing is stuck in there by a recent change to other code. I believe that has been resolved, but not tested yet... so check your /etc/network/interfaces file and make sure there is not a third nic entry there with blank values.

In VM, while it is loading the first time it reboots, you can right ctrl + f2, login, and issue issue (over and over)
sed -i 's/InnoTek/vesa/g' /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard
Replacing InnoTek with whatever your VM identifies as (Wasn't InnoTek the company in Office Space?) and it will load and work right.

I am working to resolve all of these problems.

*** oh... a fourth issue is that purple screen which you ONLY see in VM. I have no idea how that thing is persisting.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:43:37 am by l3mce »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »
Ok...
video=solved  *as an added incentive to test this... I believe I have vastly improved ATI detection and operability :)
network=solved (thanks Foxi)
kde=solved (not in this morning's snapshot)
purple=still plagues me

new annoyance... orbiter tries to load too early, and throws errors until all of its prerequisites are met, and Sarah hits the scene. I assume that something triggers orbiter when some package is shown to be installed that we are pre-installing. Will look further into it. Until then, ignore the "Failed to read orbiter config from router..." and "Regenerating orbiter, this will take 15-30 minutes..." warnings on first load.

http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/
something on or past 08-Mar-2012
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:02:11 pm by l3mce »

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2012, 08:19:21 am »
Im missing something  ???
I have downloaded the scripts and now Im testing, but it fails on the first mount command.

Code: [Select]
dcerouter_1024804:~/new-installer/lmcemaster# ./lmcemaster.sh
1004: No such file or directory
dcerouter_1024804:~/new-installer/lmcemaster#

Code: [Select]
dcerouter_1024804:~/new-installer/lmcemaster# bash -x lmcemaster.sh
+ set -e
++ mktemp -d 1004-dd.XXXXXXXXXX
+ DDDIR=1004-dd.LjUhOEiJFv
++ mktemp -d 1004-wrk.XXXXXXXXXX
+ WORKDIR=1004-wrk.CmAx7oTuQg
++ mktemp -d 1004-iso.XXXXXXXXXX
+ ISODIR=1004-iso.ua2ZTMAOhw
+ NEWINST=/root/new-installer
+ MASTERDIR=/root/new-installer/lmcemaster
+ DDMASTER=1004-dd.LjUhOEiJFv/root/new-installer/lmcemaster
+ WORKMASTER=1004-wrk.CmAx7oTuQg/root/new-installer/lmcemaster
+ CUSTOMISO=LMCE-1004-beta.iso
+ LIVECDLABEL='LinuxMCE 10.04 Live CD'
+ CDBOOTTYPE=ISOLINUX
+ LIVECDURL=http://www.linuxmce.org
+ IMAGEFILE=1004
+ VERSION=10
+ ARCH=i386
+ mount -o loop 1004 1004-dd.LjUhOEiJFv
1004: No such file or directory
dcerouter_1024804:~/new-installer/lmcemaster#

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »
Latest Shapshot works great!!!!!!

After downloading the iso, installed from it. about 40mb or so downloads. (assuming it restricted packages)
Then after Sarah another 100mb or so.

Wel that is a huge improvement from downloading an 3-4Gb iso and then while installing another 3gb or so was downloaded.....

Testing the MD part, but my AV-Wizard seems to be going into a loop.......
The MD gets to the point of the AV-wizard. choose resolution and Audio outputs. Then after that it seems to be continiuing booting, but then the AV-wizard starts again.....

Karel

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2012, 01:46:17 pm »
Latest Shapshot works great!!!!!!

After downloading the iso, installed from it. about 40mb or so downloads. (assuming it restricted packages)
Then after Sarah another 100mb or so.

Wel that is a huge improvement from downloading an 3-4Gb iso and then while installing another 3gb or so was downloaded.....

Testing the MD part, but my AV-Wizard seems to be going into a loop.......
The MD gets to the point of the AV-wizard. choose resolution and Audio outputs. Then after that it seems to be continiuing booting, but then the AV-wizard starts again.....

Karel

Which iso did you install?

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »
LMCE-1004-201203211118.iso

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:39 am »
avwiz should not be looping still.

Dragon K, can you update pluto-boot-scripts please and see if that fixes your problem (on core and MD)

Thanks

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:39 am »
Can anyone who has ANY snapshot install confirm they are missing /etc/dhpc3/dhpc.conf ?

I expect most only have a hooks file... this means dhcp is not working. I have a fix, I just need to confirm that this is more than just... me.