Author Topic: Findings while working on alternative install DVD...  (Read 300865 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Findings while working on alternative install DVD...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1015

Doesn't rip out and replace non-free yet... but should shortly.
Splash changes not implemented yet.

I am testing now... so as of now it is untested.

To use, install LMCE up to mce-install.sh. Allow that to complete without errors, then run this script.
On first install from the product, it SHOULD do some work, and then run post-install.sh.

This might work.
I never quit... I just ping out.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 05:25:42 pm »
Is ready for testing... (I think).

***Changed
Having some issues with generating that startup script in from the master script. Made two now.
Both scripts should go in /root/new-installer directory. Make sure that the numbers before .sh are removed on whatever revision you are working on. Must be named master_lmce.sh and postmaster.sh.

do a normal install, using the pre-install-from-repo.sh and mce-install.sh in the /root/new-installer dir. Do not run post-install.sh.
Do not run postmaster.sh. Create an empty script for now to replace it in /root/new-installer.

lmce_master will ask you if this is for distro or personal. For now choose personal. Distro will just ask you the q again.

At the end of that procedure, there is a little query that asks if you have a blank dvd in there... I am not sure how well it waits for the device to be ready... so give it a minute to spin up. Then you get another query, reboot to the DVD, and install again from there... should be about 17 min to get back where you were, with a fresh install. For those not playing along, you will get a language pack error (have a fix for that) and you might get a bunch of nbd errors while gparted is looking for partitions. Please click CANCEL, NOT ignore. Also please post if you did or did not get the errors.

Chances are your setup wizard videos will error out. I need a better host for the little ones.

Once new DVD install reboots, press the normal desktop button for install. This will go very quickly, and you do not have/need internet for the process. Reboot and you should have a full install.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:10:50 am by l3mce »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 01:04:31 am »
Ok... currently, what appears to be working, is the creating the dvd without post-install.sh...

Install, log into kde, open a terminal (because my scripting sucks) and typing the following:
Code: [Select]
cp -r /etc/temphome/* .!** /home
cp -r /etc/skel/* .!** /home/USERNAME (whatever your user name is)

Hit the install button on the desktop again. Will install without internet, and throw a few errors due to its inability to connect... ignore them.
* l3mce deletes rosy optimism

So... the network has to be manually configured too. For whatever reason, something has changed and the detection scripts do not function correctly, so I have to write a new one. That is going to take me a minute. The moving should have been easy, and I am sure will be. I moved it there... just not moving it back. So moving directories and redetecting and rewriting the interfaces file works it... then I can finish the legal part... and the nbd errors. I will redo it tomorrow. I am just glad the first part works.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:11:58 am by l3mce »

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 02:17:59 am »
unless your code is doing something clever that i dont see, i believe that /root/new-installer should be /home/$sad/new-installer

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:31 am »
New scripts. Removes non free packages and then reinstalls them on boot under distribution option now... so go with that. May have to run /etc/init.d/postmaster.sh manually on first boot... might be a wise idea to comment out the last line which deletes itself until it is known to work. Not sure how much a startup script wants to throw sudo at you while trying to boot avwiz. If you don't have internet... chances are it didn't work and you should run it manually. More has to be done with detection. For now it is hard coded for 2 nics, eth0 for internet. Detection is the last part of that script and it is close to finished. Have to clear up those nbd errors, and set some defaults... and maybe a different splash.

The new-installer directory from dvd snaps is in /root/new-installer.

Just do a full install now (ie install a snap and click the LMCE button on desktop). Only thing you SHOULD have to do is run the /root/new-installer/master_lmce.sh script before rebooting. First script should work like a dream. Now looks for writable media when you tell it to burn, so you don't have to wait and it shouldn't bomb... unless you don't actually have any disk at all in there... I think it will exit. I also think /etc/skel should move hidden files too so I commented out the odd copy command. If you cant get to kde, run that command from console and reboot.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:58:50 am by l3mce »

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 03:28:47 pm »
on an internet install, it is /home/user/new-installer, and i cant copy it into root so for now im just going to change the path for testing untill i can download and install a snapshot.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 04:15:00 pm »
on an internet install, it is /home/user/new-installer, and i cant copy it into root so for now im just going to change the path for testing untill i can download and install a snapshot.

postmaster.sh will not be found if it is not there, so please edit the two scripts to reflect your different directory. Or try
sudo su
mv -r /home/USER_NAME/new-installer /root/
/root/new-installer/master_lmce.sh
Obviously change the USER_NAME to reflect yours.
I will write some logic into handling this later. I was going to take a break from this for a few days, but ended up doing all night because I kept working things out.

I have a spacing error that appears after some of the "= " which is preventing it from forcing out some packages. Just ignore them till I get sed right.
This latest one should run, only throwing some dpkg errors. There will be no videos. I am just reimaging avwiz and running, fixing errors as I go. Sorry for the amount of them that didn't run correctly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:38:31 pm by l3mce »

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »
Hi L3mce,
Did you see my new concept of the splash-screen in your inbox?
I will add the lmce-logo, Let me know what you think.

Br,
Raymond
When you were born, you were crying and everybody else was laughing.
Live your life so when you die, you are laughing and everybody else is crying.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »
Hi L3mce,
Did you see my new concept of the splash-screen in your inbox?
I will add the lmce-logo, Let me know what you think.

Br,
Raymond

I thought I replied to you. I like it a lot. I am currently using phenigmas locally. I think I am going to rewrite remastersys specifically for this lmce mastering, to try and get everything a lot cleaner, and hopefully use kde partitioning front end.

While I lied before and said master_lmce.sh should work... it should work now without bombing. Dumb mistakes.

*No... I am wrong again. Won't work atm. Trying to adjust so it will.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:01:04 pm by l3mce »

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 06:31:25 am »
postmaster.sh will not be found if it is not there, so please edit the two scripts to reflect your different directory. Or try
sudo su
mv -r /home/USER_NAME/new-installer /root/
/root/new-installer/master_lmce.sh
Obviously change the USER_NAME to reflect yours.
I will write some logic into handling this later. I was going to take a break from this for a few days, but ended up doing all night because I kept working things out.

I have a spacing error that appears after some of the "= " which is preventing it from forcing out some packages. Just ignore them till I get sed right.
This latest one should run, only throwing some dpkg errors. There will be no videos. I am just reimaging avwiz and running, fixing errors as I go. Sorry for the amount of them that didn't run correctly.

i would just add the code you posted, so that if new-installer isnt in root it copies it there, and if it is then it just throws an not found and continues.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:28:20 pm »
i would just add the code you posted, so that if new-installer isnt in root it copies it there, and if it is then it just throws an not found and continues.

Probably because I don't know linux, or what it will do if a script is running from a directory that it itself moves. However I have enough to rewrite this from scratch now, without having to add the repo or use remastersys at all really. I will continue to attack it from my bassackwards methodology of forcing out bad packages and putting them back in as well as building it weird on my own.

Going forward I have to build my own on a builder. It might take a while for forward progress. Because I am going both directions, I will continue to put stuff up here on the backwards way when I make any large progress, and keep updating the trac, as well as a new one when on a forward builder. However at the end of the day I should have a few solid bases from which to build on... and a solid linuxmce*.deb base as well... ultimately in a few configurations.

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:09 pm »
with the latest files i ran into an error
growisofs:line 175: command not found
i think it is a permissions problem because i know the dvd+rw-tools is installed, but i would add that to the line that installs remastersys just to be sure it gets installed
i have to do some work on vm then, ill try again so i can mount the .iso next time :)

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:03 pm »
I believe I have fully working scripts now.
Try again. You should not have any show stopping errors.

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 03:06:50 am »
there were the cp errors that are always there and it didnt think that there was a dvd in the drive but i think i know why, but i cant copy my .iso out of my VM cause its throwing a fit so i cant test if the .iso boots yet.

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 12:32:27 am »
i just started over on building it so i thought i would document my process so others could try or i can be corrected if im doing something wrong.
Install Ubuntu server 10.04 32 bit
sudo su
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository ubuntu/
apt-get update
apt-dist upgrade
apt-get install xorg kdm kde-minimal subversion pmount remastersys 'dvd+rw-tools'
shutdown -r now
open konsole after reboot
sudo su
svn co http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/src/new-installer
chmod 777 /home/user_name/new-installer
add master-lmce.sh and postmaster.sh to the new-installer directory
cd new-installer
./pre-install-from-repo.sh
apt-get -f upgrade
./mce-install.sh
./master_lmce.sh