Author Topic: KNX hardware list  (Read 7661 times)

Session

• View Profile
KNX hardware list
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:16:47 am »
Hi,

First off I want to thank the developers for using their spare time to develop and maintain such a great system.

I have tried searching around for a hardware list using KNX. I will try to list up what I want to achieve and hopefully I will end up learning a great deal that I can relay to a national AV forum in my county. Here it goes:

I want to centralize all of my components in the circuit braker closet (what do you call it in english?)
This includes all the relays, PSU, computer and what ever else I need. I will completely rebuild an appartment so this is no problem.

I want to be able to control my lighting with the ability to dim the lights as well as set dim to 30%, 70% or what ever directly.

I want to control my blinds

I want to control my heating (not a priority, but I will put in the 20mm tubes in my walls.

I want to add switches so I can control my lights if the computer dies.

I want to add motion sensors so I can save power in rooms that I normally do not use.

So my main question is: What KNX parts do I need to achieve this? I recon I need some thing that makes the computer talk to the KNX system, relays of some sort and this is were it stops for me.

If someone can explain the basics or link to a page that explains the basics I am willing to learn.

Regards
Eirik from Norway (230V 50Hz)

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: KNX hardware list
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:12:42 am »
I'm busy right now but if you give me 24 hours I'll try to give you an explanation of how KNX works and parts breakdown of what I did to give you a comparison.  I'll also try to fill a few gaps in what you need, to what I know, where I can.  I've only used knx on my own house, but I have also been on a training course in it.

I call my centralised point the electrical cabinet, but you can call it what you want.  Is that where your mains electrics come in?  Do you have an RCD consumer unit in there?  I only ask because it makes splitting the various functional modules down into circuits much easier.

Session

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:53:43 am »
I have all the time in the world. LinuxMCE rule, be patient? ;)

The cabinet is where the circuit breakers, RCD and mains come in to my apartment yes. (If RCD is a breaker that disconnects when there is inbalance between live and neutral conductor). I am setting up a totally new large cabinet with the rebuild.

Appreciate you taking the time to help me btw.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:05:45 pm »
The wiki contains a lot of information. Search the wiki for knx and/or EIB using google, i.e.

eib site:wiki.linuxmce.org

or

knx site:wiki.linuxmce.org

Session

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:33 am »
I am sorry, I have been searching the forums and internett as you said. I can only find information about software. I am wondering about hardware needs. Am I looking in the wrong places?

The only info I found was: MDT AKS-1216 and MDT JAL 0810

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:11 pm »
You can use ALL KNX hardware that uses KNX TwistedPair cabling.

Session

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:14:09 pm »
Yes, I know. I was hoping to get some pointers as to what KNX gear to get. I could probably go on a KNX specific forum, but I hoped someone here had any experience with some gear and wanted to share experiences and maybe teach me briefly about what makes the system tick, what I would need for a basic setup and so on. Cheers  ;)

I guess this is the device that translate ip data to eib/knx "language"
http://www.elementcontrols.com/products/details.php?cat=system_component&id=107

This is the psu for powering all the "modules" (except I would need a 240V version)
http://www.elementcontrols.com/products/details.php?cat=system_component&id=103

This is a basic 8 channel on/off relay that may switch light, heat or whatever.
http://www.elementcontrols.com/products/details.php?cat=system_component&id=117

This is what is what I have learn't so far. Will update when I figure out more stuff and you can arrest me if I am wrong.

Btw. Can LinuxMCE take care of the logics?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:36:09 pm by Session »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:55:22 am »
Your list is accurate. KNX/IP gate, KNX PSU plus whatever actors you want.

LinuxMCE can take care of the logic, but needs to run to do so. At the moment there is no provision in LinuxMCE to upload logic into a stand alone KNX logic controller.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:41:23 pm by posde »

Session

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:01 pm »
Perfect. I have no problem having the computer run 24/7. Thanks for the help posde.

trentend

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:33:37 pm »
Perfect. I have no problem having the computer run 24/7. Thanks for the help posde.

There are problems with this.  What happens if your computer stops working?  One of the nice things with KNX is that once the local devices are programmed, they keep working. You can make much basic functionality work without needing a running computer (LinuxMCE) to make things happen.

I know I said 24 hours, and it's much more than that.  I am going to add some stuff here tonight.  I tried to setup a wiki user page, but couldn't find out how to get it published.  I'll just post some stuff in this thread.....

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:02 pm »
trentend,

KNX works without the computer. What does not work without the computer is specific additional logic, especially time logic, which I CAN live without. Every room has a simple 4-button sensor which controls basic lighting and blinds. All bigger logic, like grouping and stuff, timed events etc, are controlled by LinuxMCE. So, if the computer fails, the people in the house are still able to use all the stuff in the house, just not as comfortable as before.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »
Just to clear things up a bit:

* I am using KNX with only LinuxMCE as the logic controller for events.
* There are KNX logic devices available, which work without a PC, which probably can do the same thing that the PC can do.

I *personally* prefer to have my computer to more advanced stuff, but that's just me.

Session

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:55 pm »
We are on the same page there.

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 01:08:55 pm »
Just to clear things up a bit:

* I am using KNX with only LinuxMCE as the logic controller for events.
* There are KNX logic devices available, which work without a PC, which probably can do the same thing that the PC can do.

I *personally* prefer to have my computer to more advanced stuff, but that's just me.

hi posde,

do you also have a logic in linuxmce for a "night light"? For example, when you turn on the light at midnight it will only dimm to 30%. I tried to realize this, but the problem is i had to change the group addresses and if linuxmce server is not running the telegrams go to nirvana.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 02:26:53 pm »
I don't have any dimmers in my current setup. And the only dimming I WILL have will be RGB stripes via Chromoflex.

"night light" scenario without a logic controller seems not possible. How to enable it with LinuxMCE running (and only have 30%), and not running (and have 100%), is something to think about.