Author Topic: Greek font support under LinuxMCE  (Read 8694 times)

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Greek font support under LinuxMCE
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:07 pm »
Hi,

I want to be able to play greek subtitles when I watch movies. I have tried to edit /etc/pluto/xine.conf but I was not successful. Does anybody knows how can I view greek subtitles under LinuxMCE? Is even greek subtitles supported under linuxmce?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Greek font support under LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:30 pm »
First repay the money you borrowed from us. Before that I refuse the help any Greek.

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »
Hi bongowongo,

sorry I am confused, what money are you referring? And what does this have to do with my question?

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:10:47 am »
I think he's trying to make a joke regarding the Greek economy status.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:39:37 am »
I want to be able to play greek subtitles when I watch movies. I have tried to edit /etc/pluto/xine.conf but I was not successful. Does anybody knows how can I view greek subtitles under LinuxMCE? Is even greek subtitles supported under linuxmce?

I don't know the answer, but I'd like to know it too, so let's go about it logically:

How would you normally go about viewing greek subtitles in Xine on a normal desktop system?

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:39 am »
Hi,

Normally what I would do is to open the movie and subtitle (if the subtitle is not loaded automatically) and watch the movie. But when I try to watch a movie with greek subtitles on LinuxMCE the subtitles fonts are gibberish. Normally this would be an encoding issue so I tried editing the /etc/pluto/xine.conf (found about this file in another post) and put iso-8859-7 instead of  iso-8859-1. But then the subtitles disappeared completely, the only think I could see from the greek subtitles was the commas, fullstops and semicolons.  

I have tried setting other encodings as well but I was still getting gibberish.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:15:18 pm »
Sounds like you are missing some fonts if all you get are the commas. Can you try finding the font differences between LinuxMCE and the desktop system that works for you, please? Unless of course the desktop system that works is the same LinuxMCE system except running in the desktop, which would mean the problem is not fonts, but something else.

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:15:18 pm »
Hi,

How would I compare the fonts sets between the desktop that works and LinuxMCE?

I don't know if it helps but I did end up in the same conclusion that the linuxmce system was missing some fonts, specifically the Greek ones. I came to this conclusion when I notice that the Greek keyboard was missing from the KDE desktop. I try to install the language pack and from there to install Greek support using both apt-get and the package manager but I got an http error.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 06:44:02 pm »
What's the error?

I'm not sure how to see what fonts are installed. What's the package name you use with apt-get?

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 07:10:27 pm »
sudo apt-get install language-pack-nl

error:
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main language-pack-nl-base 1:8.10+20081025
  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.40 80]
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main language-pack-nl 1:8.10+20081025
  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.40 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/language-pack-nl-base/language-pack-nl-base_8.10+20081025_all.deb  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.40 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/language-pack-nl/language-pack-nl_8.10+20081025_all.deb  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.40 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:17 pm »
First of all, nl isn't Greek. You want el. Specifically, you probably want language-support-el, which brings in fonts and other stuff for Greek.

Second, Intrepid is probably EOL, so it's no longer in the main archive. If that's the case, you have to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com and apt-get update with this new address before you install anything else. If you are using a mirror, XX.archive.ubuntu.com, you have to replace the entire XX.archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com, dropping XX.

Try this and tell me if it gets you anywhere.

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:47:30 pm »
Hi,

I have tried what you suggested and replacing archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com did allow me to download the grek language pack, but I still only see commas and fullstops when I play movies with greek subtitles.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:56 pm »
Hi,

I have tried what you suggested and replacing archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com did allow me to download the grek language pack, but I still only see commas and fullstops when I play movies with greek subtitles.

Just out of idle curiosity... did you grab nl or el.
I never quit... I just ping out.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 03:37:54 am »
OK, I just did this on my system: set Xine to ISO-8859-7 and installed language-support-el. I downloaded a subtitle from the Internet, and even after this all I see are punctuation marks. This is on my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop.

phanosp

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 09:26:04 am »
I was successful in playing Greek subtitles in previous versions of ubuntu, from 7.04 until 10.10 64 bit simply by changing the encoding options in the application I was using. The application I am using is totem I never tried xine for some time. So do you thing the problem is application specific and not OS specific?