Author Topic: Building a snapshot  (Read 3118 times)

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Building a snapshot
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »
Hey all,

I would like to understand how the snapshots get build. I have done some searching (wiki, forum, web) and I can't find any information about building them. The web was less than usefull because the only information that came up about snapshots were camera related.

Is it a complicated process?
Is it a particular piece of software that creates them?
Can they be used as a backup tool and is there any advantage to this?

There are probably other questions that will arise from this conversation but that is all for now.

Thanks,

<M>

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Building a snapshot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:14 pm »
<M>,

building the snapshot for the sake of it is something that I discourage people to do. Why? Because everyone that creates snapshots, or does full builds, taxes our SVN server, which already is at its limit.

The snapshots are delivered quite often, so I don't see a real need for anyone to do it themselves. If anyone wants to do dev work, go and setup a build env, do a full build once, and from than on, do your work in your checked-out tree and build your stuff. No need to create a snapshot imho.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:24:43 pm »
If I don't need to or shouldn't do it, then I won't.  But I have no idea how it is done or what it entails.  This is basically for my own knowledge and understanding of how it is done.  I didn't know that it tasked resources other then the local machine. So I definely understand your concerns.

If this is not information to be shared freely with the masses, I understand that as well.  If you give the kids the keys to your car, chances are they will drive it even if you don't want them to.

Thanks,

<M>

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:18:20 pm »
The snapshots are basically created using two scripts. After a build.sh, makedvd and finalizedvd are called. They are modelled after scripts available on the web that allow you to customize your Kubuntu install CDs.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »
Thanks...I'll look into those things and see where I land.

You'd be surprised at how much you can learn from reading scripts.  That is how I learned what I know about VBA.

<M>