Author Topic: exclude folders from media sync database  (Read 3283 times)

mechuccio

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
exclude folders from media sync database
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:22:31 pm »
Hi All,

as an utter noob in lmce usage, I've got a maybe very stupid question but I just can't seem to find the answer.
I've connected my external HDD to my core/hybrid and it immediately indexes all 25 zillion files (which took about a day)
Now, on my HDD I've got 3 folders I'd like to have in my database (pictures, music and video) naturally there are more folders on that hdd which got included in the database as well and I'd like to exclude them.
If I go to the files sync page on the admin page I can navigate to my external disk and see all folders, they're all marked "present on disk and in the database" but how can I select folders to be excluded? The only option I can find is delete which, according to lmce, will also delete them from my disk.
Any help would be much appreciated. Until now it has been a wonderful voyage with some help from this forum and a lot of trial and error. A couple of reïnstalls so far and getting better each day. Being able to browse and play media with different orbiters and media directors is great but browsing through thousands of files that are of no need on my setup gets annoying. I want to get this sorted out and then start playing with some X10 switches, I'll take some days or weeks off for that  ;D

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: exclude folders from media sync database
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:07 am »
folderlock is the keyword to search for in the wiki.

mechuccio

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »
Thanks!
I'm just not entirely sure what to do with the folderlock.
The wiki page is talking about folders I want to copy to my LinuxMCE machine but that's not the case and impossible as well.
I've got a 40GB HDD in my core/hybrid and a 1TB external disk which is filled for about 90% with music, video's and pictures.
I want only the folders containing those files to be included in my database which are the folders Photo, music and video on the HDD's root. There are several other folders on it's root I want to exclude so should I open an SSH connection to my core and give the command:
Code: [Select]
touch /public/other/10EADS_External (sdf1) on dcer [38]/TOOLS.folderlock10EADS_External (sdf1) on dcer [38] being the name given to my external HDD and TOOLS one of the folders I want to exclude.
I'm just being extra carefull now as I don't want to screw up another installation of LMCE  ;D

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »
[..]There are several other folders on it's root I want to exclude so should I open an SSH connection to my core and give the command:
Code: [Select]
touch /public/other/10EADS_External (sdf1) on dcer [38]/TOOLS.folderlock10EADS_External (sdf1) on dcer [38] being the name given to my external HDD and TOOLS one of the folders I want to exclude.
I'm just being extra carefull now as I don't want to screw up another installation of LMCE  ;D

That is the correct procedure. Another idea would be to re-detect the drive and choose use LinuxMCE structure. It would create subdirs on the disk, where you can move your stuff into.

mechuccio

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:22:07 pm »
OK thanks!!
I'll try it right now.
The reason I choose not to use the Linux structure is that I need the external disk to work with windows machines as well. Eventually when Saint Salary comes by I'll buy another large disk which will be used exclusively for my LMCE setup. I want that to be an internal disk as well as it works a lot faster.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »
Selecting LinuxMCE structure does not re-format the drive at all. All it does is create the LinuxMCE directory structure. And you are free to move the media files into the right folders. You can still access all files like you did before.

mechuccio

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:17:21 am »
Ok, than I think I might go for that option, I hadn't had much time to fiddle with the setup so far but as it's weekend I've got some spare time now.
A question though, Windows will accept the Linux file system then? Because as said before, the disk is filled for 90% (900GB+) with audio and video, I don't want to be swapping folders every time I need to access my disk from another machine :)

Thanks so far anyway m8! it's of great help to me!