Author Topic: [Resolved]Pictures on NAS drive not appearing in LinuxMCE Picture menu  (Read 3377 times)

maxinva

• View Profile
I'm having problems getting my pictures on my NAS drive to appear in LinuxMCE.  It seems like they have been catalogued by UpdateMedia since they appear in the media database (checked  by seeing them in admin->media->syncmedia and looking directly at the database).  They appear to be tagged incorrectly but I'm not sure what tag is incorrect.  

I have set-up the Pictures windows share drive on the NAS drive as a public drive.  I have set-up two other share drives for videos and music the same way and they are working fine.  I have also set up another windows share drive, as a test, that uses the LinuxMCE directory structure.  When I drop pictures in this share drive, the pictures appear in the LinuxMCE menu.  As best as I can tell, it seems to be a combination of both a public share drive and pictures that is causing the problem.

Does anybody know the attributes required by a picture to appear in the LinuxMCE picture menu?  If there is a SQL that is used to retrieve the pictures I would be happy to find out why my entries are not being select.  If somebody can point me to the code that is generating the menu, I would be willing to wade through it and (attempt to) find the problem.

I'm new to LinuxMCE and I think this is a great project.  I have tried a work around (create a symbolic link) that was mentioned in the 710 set-up video but that didn't work.  I can't find any other related comments on the wiki or the forums.  Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:01:28 am by maxinva »

ladekribs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures on NAS drive not appearing in LinuxMCE Picture menu
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:33:27 pm »
hi maxinva,

how did you copy the to the NAS?

if you use the samba share, permissions usually works.

BR Stefan

maxinva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »
I'm actually using windows shares not samba shares.  It is a good idea to enable samba shares and see if the behavior changes.  I will try that and see if behavior changes.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm still interested in understanding how entries end up in the LinuxMCE picture menu. 

maxinva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:00:34 am »
I did resolve this problem.  I'm very new to LinuxMCE but here is what I have discovered base on several hours of trying to make this work.

First, it does not seem like pictures cataloged by updatemedia will be shown in the LinuxMCE Picture menu unless they are in the /home/public/data/pictures directory.  When the window share drives were discovered, I decide not to use the LinuxMCE file structure (ane move all my pictures into this structure) but instead just to make all the content public.  By default this places the windows share under /home/public/data/other/.  Even though all the pictures are in the media database under /home/public/data/other, they would not appear in the Picture Menu.

In order to resolve this problem I created a symbolic link in /home/public/data/pictures to /mnt/device/33/ where 33 is the device which is my windows share for my pictures. This seemed like it should work but it didn't.  I discovered the problem when I manually synced the media by using the LinuxMCE admin ->Files & Media -> Media Files Sync -> Resynchronize command.  The updatemedia command was not fully cataloging my pictures.  OK I have over 10,000 pictures so this may have been a tall task.  Part way through the process it halted.  This meant that only part of the directory structure was being cataloged and no pictures would appear.   By moving down through the file structure and perform several smaller runs of updatemedia I was able to catalog all the pictures.  Then one full at the root directory, which seem to only catalog some of the root directories, made all the pictures appear!

I'll try to make a wiki update to document this strategy but I though I would post a reply here.  Now to get the pictures to appear on the screen saver and removed the stock flickr photos! I seem to remember a wiki entry on this topic! 

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: [Resolved]Pictures on NAS drive not appearing in LinuxMCE Picture menu
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:00 am »
Manually creating symlinks will most probably cause problems down the line. Try to utilize the share again, with LinuxMCE structure, and move the pics around.