Author Topic: After AV Wizard i get grey screen  (Read 6553 times)

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
After AV Wizard i get grey screen
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:14 am »
Hi people i'm new in Linux especially in MCE so i will tell this simple.

I've had followed all steps for installing MCE and when i came to AV Wizard i had configured for my needs.
After than on the screen were showing some sentences that Orbiter was configuring something.At once the sentences stopped with showing on the screen and i've got Grey screen.I've waited for 10minutes and nothing happened so i have restarted my computer ,the procedure started from the beginning (the orbiter creating or configuring wizard started again) and the same happened again.
I'm waiting for 30 min now but nothing happens ,can somebody help me what should i do?

ps:Sorry if my English is bad but it is not my native.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: After AV Wizard i get grey screen
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »
Hello there,

I can understand your concerened how ever Linuxmce is very powerful system so please give it some time to built. Remember rule # 1 is be Patient. The system must be downloading and installing on back ground without anything on screen, leave it alone. have a cup of coffee and come back. All depends on your internet speed and hardware. Hope that helps.

Take it easy.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »
What UI option did you choose?
If you chose UI2, with or without overlays (alpha), and did you run a test first?
If so, describe what did the test looked like.
I never quit... I just ping out.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:38:03 pm »
It depends on what type of graphic card do you have on the machine. If you have Nvidia anything above 7200 series will handle UI2 with alpha blending just fine. If you have intel on board,, I would go with simplest option.

Hope that helps,, please dont forget again the rule # 1 :)

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:31:07 am »
I had waited for a long time maybe 1-2 hours,i will try again tonight i will put the system to work over the night.And i have a good connection 10Mb/s download 1Mb/s upload all the time (which is one of the most powerful connections in my country after the Optic Internet which i can't afford it).
I have pretty old Hardware but it is good for work . Pentium 4 Processor 2.0Ghz ,1GB Ram ,40Gb HDD and GeForce FX5500 256MB Graphic Card.
I think i have chosen the second option without alpha.

Can u tell me if this card can handle with that option , if it can't please tell me how can i change the options.
And if there is something else i should know please tell me.

Thank you.
Daci92.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:36:21 am »
Reboot the machine and hold the shift key down while booting, this will dump you back into the AVWizard.

Try the middle option. I do not believe the 5500 will run full UI2. I do believe it will work without alpha... but no guarantee. You should use the "test" option first while selecting. Worst case scenario UI1 is pleasant enough and fully functional until you can get a better card.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:59:34 am by l3mce »

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:44:04 am »
This is test machine just to test if MCE is providing what i need and if it is i will install it on very much better machine with very much better card.
I will try what you said and i will write the results in the morning.
Thank you.
Daci92

Edit:I forgot to say.Like i said before in the other post i have chosen the second option and that is the middle one,so i will try with the first one
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:45:43 am by daci92 »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:02:21 am »
Sorry, I misunderstood... I thought you meant the second UI2 option, not the second of the three options. I see now I misread.

Good luck!

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:44:08 am »
I've selected the first option for graphic and this time while orbiter was rendering was blinking and i've got only black screen somewhere on 56% of step 2.
I will keep the computer on for the night to see what will happen if it is not good on this machine i will try on other one on work.
But the problem there is that i have network proxy and i dont know how to solve to use the proxy while updating .

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »
Nothing happened same like before after all night on.
If i have time today i will try it on work .

daci92

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 06:53:09 pm »
Same thing happens on two other PC's.
I cannot figure out what's the problem.
Can somebody help me ?
I use the DVD which was on the website few months ago .
How can i install new snapshot ?
Please...
Thank you.