Author Topic: white screen  (Read 5273 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
white screen
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:58:43 pm »
When setting up pluto you choose the screen resolution.  I choose what is standard for my monitor which is 1024x768 at 60hz.  When the first screen starts i can hear the instructional video playing, but all i have is a white screen with a mouse cursor.  I have reinstalled it many times and can only seem to get 640x480 to work.  i have also tried to change the resolution after the fact using the webmin system, it does switch to the higher resolution test screen so i know the monitor and video card can do it.  Then when you apply it and the MD reloads the screen is white with no icons on it. Many times if you change the resolution in any way you cannot get the buttons back at all it just stays a white screen.
The system is a fresh install.  The system is setup as a pluto hybrid with dhcp server off.

Pluto Hybrid
Dell Optiplex GX260
Nvidia MX4000 128Mb agp8x
1GB ram
80gb HDD
Haupaugge PVR-150

Thank you......

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: white screen
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:24 pm »
Quote from: "Harq"
When setting up pluto you choose the screen resolution.  I choose what is standard for my monitor which is 1024x768 at 60hz.  When the first screen starts i can hear the instructional video playing, but all i have is a white screen with a mouse cursor.  I have reinstalled it many times and can only seem to get 640x480 to work.  i have also tried to change the resolution after the fact using the webmin system, it does switch to the higher resolution test screen so i know the monitor and video card can do it.  Then when you apply it and the MD reloads the screen is white with no icons on it. Many times if you change the resolution in any way you cannot get the buttons back at all it just stays a white screen.
The system is a fresh install.  The system is setup as a pluto hybrid with dhcp server off.

Pluto Hybrid
Dell Optiplex GX260
Nvidia MX4000 128Mb agp8x
1GB ram
80gb HDD
Haupaugge PVR-150

Thank you......

Sounds like a video card problem... if you have onboard graphics take your agp card out and reinstall. Alternatively if you have access to another graphics card (nVidia or ATi) try that... but again reinstall.

Best of luck.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
white screen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:49:55 am »
This is the fix.  I removed the nvidia card i had installed.  That card was supposed to disable the onboard video, but i guess not.  After it was removed i re-installed and then i did not get the strange video glitches.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
white screen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:15:05 am »
Quote from: "Harq"
This is the fix.  I removed the nvidia card i had installed.  That card was supposed to disable the onboard video, but i guess not.  After it was removed i re-installed and then i did not get the strange video glitches.

You might want to try another test with your nVidia card... go into your Bios setup and look for options to disable on-board graphics or select agp cards. Have your nVidia in the slot when you do this. Save the new settings and re-boot... you may need to re-install unfortunately! However re-boot 1st without re-installing and see if the new card is recognised and configured. Then you may need to go into Web Admin Wizards->Devices->Media Directors and set the video card for the MD to nVidia as it will probably not have autodetected the switch.

Best of luck

Andrew