Author Topic: Push button input for automation  (Read 6399 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Push button input for automation
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:37:51 pm »
My new house is under construction. I am looking to add some home automation functionality, and I like what I read on the Pluto site. Then start the questions : here's a big one : there is some explanation in the features page on how to use a floorplan on an orbiter to switch a light on/off. But how about the buttons ? I mean, how to interface Pluto with the standard wall switch (likely these wil be normally open push buttons) ?  Can I use something like the SeaLevel I/O ? Or an ethernet based I/O that monitors digital inputs ? Does anyone have anything that is more generic than the GC100, offers more functionality (more circuits) ?

This functionality is quite basic to my needs, so I am hoping someone who is using Plutohome for lights control will share the experience. Many thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:29:37 am »
The easiest and least expensive way would be X10 components. They have wall switches that will interface, and require no additional wiring or cabling. Theough the technology is a little dated and the response time is rather slow (About 2 seconds), they work great and are very inexpensive

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:55:53 am »
or you can use zWave - which is using radio waves to send signal on/off to light switches.
I'm not sure how much it costs but the response is much better.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 09:17:50 am »
Quote from: "dan.g"
or you can use zWave - which is using radio waves to send signal on/off to light switches.

Hi,

Dan is right... Zwave devices respond much more quickly and control commands  are delivered much more reliably over this protocol as it has a two-way capability. We have used both X-10 and Zwave and much prefer Zwave. We have  two test installations with about 8-10 devices controlled in each and they are working well.

By the way the new .43 release also includes support for Zwave based PIR sensors too. Hope this helps you.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 09:33:53 am »
Perhaps I need to further clarify : I want to use the same brand/type/look of buttons that will be used for all buttons and outlets (BTicino Living). So, these buttons are just standard normally open push buttons. My question is : how do I interface these with PlutoHome. Forget x10 (bulky, old, toylike, expensive for the functionality) or any wireless solution (this house is under construction, so I can opt for cheaper and more reliable hardwired solution). My idea is to use a range of industry standard components that are reliable and cost effective (consider 50-odd buttons). Has anyone interfaced PlutoHome with a digital input system that handles a larger amount of channels like this (like the SeaIO series from sealevel.com) ?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:31 am »
Quote from: "pubdc"
Perhaps I need to further clarify : I want to use the same brand/type/look of buttons that will be used for all buttons and outlets (BTicino Living). So, these buttons are just standard normally open push buttons. My question is : how do I interface these with PlutoHome. Forget x10 (bulky, old, toylike, expensive for the functionality) or any wireless solution (this house is under construction, so I can opt for cheaper and more reliable hardwired solution). My idea is to use a range of industry standard components that are reliable and cost effective (consider 50-odd buttons). Has anyone interfaced PlutoHome with a digital input system that handles a larger amount of channels like this (like the SeaIO series from sealevel.com) ?

As far as I know all the 'wired' solutions will require additional wiring and for control signaling/bus routing (although I may be wrong). Pluto is an open system so if no one has interfaced the systems you mention then I am sure it could be done but if your property is under construction you may not have time to wait for that development to happen as really in a wired system you need to run all the cabling very early on in the construction. I would suggest revisiting Zwave as the style and range of faceplate, ceiling void and other switiches and controls are very good now - especially in the US. In Europe the situation not quite as good but even here most of the major electrical suppliers will have Zwave enabled product ranges from the middle to late 2007. The great thing is that all these products will interoperate with each other and you are not tied into one supplier for everything.

Best of luck.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:32:25 pm »
Quote from: "totallymaxed"

Hi,

Dan is right... Zwave devices respond much more quickly and control commands  are delivered much more reliably over this protocol as it has a two-way capability. We have used both X-10 and Zwave and much prefer Zwave. We have  two test installations with about 8-10 devices controlled in each and they are working well.

By the way the new .43 release also includes support for Zwave based PIR sensors too. Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Hi,

can you please advice me what brand of ZWave devices to buy and use ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:47:08 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"
Quote from: "totallymaxed"

Hi,

Andrew

Hi,

can you please advice me what brand of ZWave devices to buy and use ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Here in the UK we are using HomePro manufactured units (Master Controller, usb interface, lighting modules, appliance modules, PIR). We are about to get samples from several other manufacturers but they are un-announced/un-released products so i cannot discuss those here yet... but will as soon as I able too. The HomePro units are fine for testing but they are not really ideal for a real installation as they are cosmetically not that well designed.

Cheers

Andrew