Author Topic: Gyration Remote keys all wacky  (Read 13642 times)

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
Re: Gyration Remote keys all wacky
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:35 pm »
esev! dude, where have you been? :)

We need dev help! :)

-Thom

I'm been pretty tight on free time for the last few months. I'm moving this summer and also have a baby coming in the next few weeks. Between my day job, finding a new house 600 miles away, and helping out around the house there isn't much time leftover. :( I'll take a peek at Trac tonight to see if there are any little projects I can help with. I'm hesitant to take on anything big at the moment because I don't want to slow up anybody who really needs those fixes/features.

Thanks for asking! :)

About the remotes...  I have several of these gyration air remotes working in my setup. There are a few buttons (the green windows button in particular) that aren't decoded by the stock HID driver.  The patched HID module from the wiki/Trac is the one I'm using.

--esev
Eric Severance
My setup

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:14 am »
I followed the instructions under "Current Workaround" on the wiki page below with no success.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Gyration_GYR4101US

The make seemed to go fine. I looked in /lib/modules/2.6.27-17-generic/kernel/drivers/hid and saw the hid.ko had been recently modified. So everything looked good except my Gyration 3101 still does not work. I noticed when selecting the template that GYR3101US was deprecated. Did that occur during the last few weeks and cause working remotes to stop working? By the way, I bought this in the US but I just noticed that my manual says GYR3101CA (Canada Version). Don't know if my remote is also the CA version or if that makes a difference.

John
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 06:29:51 am »
it says deprecated, because the codes in that template were moved into template #1812.

-thom

gtsupport

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »
The music remote isn't supported in older kernels.  You need a newer HID driver.  See here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Gyration_GYR4101US

Worked like a charm, thanks for the info. Life is now a whole lot easier with that little green button working.  :)
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 04:26:12 pm »
I've got this great LinuxMCE software and no way to control it. Could someone please help me put the steering wheel back on my Ferrari?
I've been in the initial stages of installing LMCE for about 3 months now. In Jan I installed from the most recent snapshot and my GYR3101 was completely plug/play. For the last 3 months my main effort has been to try to get my #&*$~! serial card and Insteon modem working. In the process I've busted the system in many creative ways. I usually reload LMCE with the latest snapshot. A few weeks ago I noticed that my remote no longer works. Now I finally sorted out my serial card, but can't figure out how to get the remote back.

What has changed in the last 3 months that the GYR3101 is no longer plug/play?
Maybe it is the snapshot I'm using and I should revert to an earlier one?
Maybe the snapshot makes no difference and the problem is caused by a file that downloads during installation?

This thread is wandering back and forth between older and newer Gyration remotes and I'm getting a bit confused. I figured I'd give it a try and follow the directions in the following link (even though it says GYR4101):

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Gyration_GYR4101US

Is this patch also supposed to work for the GYR3101? Didn't work for me. Esev's post says "The music remote isn't supported in older kernels". I don't think this patch has anything to do with my problem because my kernel version has not changed from the time my remote worked in Jan to now, nor do I have a music remote.
I've reinstalled LMCE several times, I've deleted and re-installed the remote using the admin site. I've tried to re-installed using Sarah (it detects and appears to plug/play but then does not work. I'm running out of ideas.

John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:31:48 pm by twodogs »
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
twodogs,
   Silly question... but did you edit your xorg.conf file to add   

Option     "AutoAddDevices"   "false"

as mentioned earlier in this thread?

I missed it too... but with the modified hid.ko, and the edit to xorg.conf, and the correctly added child device, my remote is working!   

And yes.. it can be frustrating... especially when time flies by when troubleshooting (when you dont have enough time to begin with).

Dennis

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 08:10:32 pm »
Ardirtbiker,

May good fortune follow you wherever you go. That was it. In my earlier attempts I had checked check xorg.conf and there were multiple entries of "autoadddevices" "false", but I think I did not install the updated module correctly - I believe I missed a "sudo". Today I rebuilt the module very carefully and assumed my xorg.conf was the same as before. Bad assumption.
My GYR3101CA remote is working correctly with the 1812 template after following the setup instructions for the GYR4101US remote and editing xorg.conf under the "Server Flags" heading to include.

Option     "AutoAddDevices"   "false"

Awesome.

John
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805