Author Topic: 0810 Snapshot 23645 Install Experience  (Read 17845 times)

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 0810 Snapshot 23645 Install Experience
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 06:59:55 am »
Heres hoping for you............L3mce

Hey Ted with those commands is there any chance of wiping my existing RAID array

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »
Heres hoping for you............L3mce

Hey Ted with those commands is there any chance of wiping my existing RAID array

No hope for me I been told.
Same result w/o pdate/upgrade. Quick mysql crash and infinite reboot.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »
For me it was just the RAID that was not recognised so a small
fix in rc.local fixed that my bigger problem is now after creating my
md upstairs the Gyration remote button layout has lost it marbles
and as you say buttons do things that there not meant to etc

Hope someone knows why and also how to fix this issue

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 04:28:27 pm »
Great job LMCE Dev Team.

Core - Installed as described in the wiki.  Ran apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, without changing sources list.  (all ran good, with a couple of 404 error, but nothing serious).

Ran the LMCE ICON - took about 3 hours to finish, but eventually did.  Rebooted the system, got AVwizard and setup finished.  Had to configure DHCP IP Range was the only change I made.

Ran the diskless MD script, libdvdcss on Core to enable cd/dvd play - no problems

MD1 configured nicely - ran libdvdcss, upgraded HULU in KDE.  (dvi=720p, sound = spdif)  this system is working like a charm.  Had to ensure that I selected the correct resolution, where in 0710 it was already set to 60hz, in 0810 if you don't have a local monitor attached, you'll need to arrow over and down arrow once to ensure the setting.

MD2 configured nicely - where this system is a s-vidoe configuration, it's always been difficult to setup, was a breeze.

All-in-All a great piece of work and I wanted to share my appreciation to those that have worked their butts off to get it to this point.

This didn't work for me.  I installed the Core just like this post stated and everything went fine.  I tried /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh and it runs for a while but then errors out with missing Pluto dependencies. I have to hit CTRL-C to break the look.  It also suggests to run apt-get -f install to fix the broken dependencies but when I do, it finds nothing.  I added the repositories found in the Wiki for the internet installation of 0810 to /etc/apt/sources.list and /mnt/device/32/etc/apt/sources.list which is one I found doing a file search in the core.  Then I ran apt-get update from the core and it found new stuff. I tried to run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh and it resulted in the same issue.
Suggestions?

Thanks,

<M>

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »
I just did another install of 23645, and will test md in a moment.

What I did was change the sources directly after KDE install, then update/dist-upgrade before installing LMCE. Let you know if it rolls.

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 06:15:16 pm »
That's the way I do it and it all worked fine except the missing
RAID and my now screwed up remote buttons on the md

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 01:22:08 am »
re: the RAID issue above, you have TWO different RAID devices for your md, you need to make sure you only have one RAID device and children in your device tree in the web admin.

-Thom

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:25 pm »
I wanted to mention that the remote suicide is my fault. I had 2 different UIRTs attached, so it was hitting multiples on certain buttons... and buttons that repeat, like volume, were arriving in duplicate, eventually crushing something, it seems. The other UIRT is miniature, and forgot it was there.

So... I'm dumb.
Again.

I take it back... not the dumbness, but with a single USBUIRT I have crashed it 3 times today by being to quick on the trigger.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:46:31 pm by l3mce »

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »
0810 still having issues with studder on dvd playback.  My issues:

Core -

Mobo - M4A785-M
RAM - 8Gb
Disk - 500Gb
NIC - onboard disabled - 2 gb add-ins (brand new) TrendNet TE1000

NAS
FreeNas v0.7.2
Drives - 5 - WD Green 1Tb
RAID 0
RAM - 8Gb
NIC - onboard disabled - 1 gb add-in (brand new) TrendNet TE1000
Services - CIFS/SMB

MD (3)
Mobo - M4A785-M
RAM - 8Gb
NO HDD
NIC - onboard disabled - 1 gb add-in (brand new) TrendNet TE1000

Unmanaged Switch
TrendNet Gb 24 port

Wireless Router
Tenda - W307R (I really like this router)

Problem:  All media is stored on FreeNas server.  When playing media from any MD, I am experiencing severe LAG and Skips in any movie that plays.

Originally believed a number of problems.  Changed out all NIC's as stated above (this is the third time).  Purchased new Switch for the central connectivity.  Installed various versions of LMCE (0710 and various snapshots) - no change.  Connected Core and NAS directly with cross-over cable - no change.  No errors seen when I review logging on Core, but not sure I'm looking in the right area (in KDE open up logs - is that the correct area ? ).  Copied some DVD to Core and they play flawless (no issue, skipping, stuttering at all).  So this leads me back to my NAS having an issue, however have not seen any issues.  Looked in status for any errors but none found.

Questions:

a.  Is there additional logging I can enable in LMCE to drill deeper into this issue?
b.  Are there some recommendations for tunning LMCE community can offer that may help ?
c.  Other troubleshooting options that I may have not thought of that the community can offer ?

I've read easily hundreds of tuning thread on Net for freenas and have not seen any difference.  I have not been able to find any tuning info for LMCE, yet, but still looking.

Really like the idea of a NAS as it makes sense for this type of whole house application and to allow the house to save files and stream tunes (which I have yet to setup), hoping I can find an answer to this issue or any of you can direct/point me in the right direction.

Thanks
AJ

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »
copy a file from the NAS to a local disk. What's the transfer speed?

-Thom

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »
Using TeraCopy - copying a dvd from NAS to my local Win computer @768kbs

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »
can you look to see what the ethernet on FreeNAS is connecting to the rest of the network at which speed? You should be getting 20 megabytes/second minimum.

-Thom

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 04:14:24 am »
Thom - thanks for your responses. 

In the WebAdmin for Freenas I've set the NIC to 1000Mbs, however don't know how I can see actual speed it's connecting to or running on my network.  Any admin tools you know of I can find out ?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 04:15:55 am »
check your dmesg output on the FreeNAS box, also look at the output of ifconfig -a

-Thom

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 04:28:23 am »
Ok will do.  I feel like a numbnuts for not having learned all of this by now.  I really appreciate your help Thom.