Author Topic: First time setup questions  (Read 8704 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
First time setup questions
« on: January 09, 2007, 05:54:14 am »
I've installed Pluto on a box I borrowed from work, a quad CPU P4 2.4GHz, 1Gb RAM, 123 Gb hard drive and I'm able to access the Pluto web interface from another computer. I was able to get Asterisk up and running. I installed it as a hybrid core so I can try out the media director stuff before I get another computer for the task, so I was expecting it to boot up to the menu, but I just get a gray screen. With alt-tab I can get to the iceWM menu and from there I can get to the page with the Pluto home logo and this text-based menu: http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Console.jpg but I'm lost.

In the web interface I am able to go to the Wizard for Media Directors and change the resolution (I've got it at "800 600/85" right now) and when I change res, the core brings up the resolution sizing graphic, etc. and the web interface asks to quick reload the router and rebuild the graphics, but it goes back to the gray screen.

I suspect it may be an issue with the video card, and I'm embarrassed to say, I don't even know what video card this machine has. I wanted to get to a command line and try "lspci -vv" to see if I can figure out what card it has, but I don't know enough about the system to do that.

I've got a n HDHomeRun I hope to try with MythTV, at least for normal resolution digital channels, and see if I've got the processing power for hdtv. But when I bring up the Wizard->Devices->Myth Settings, it gives me an empty page.

Help is much appreciated, I'm excited to get this working!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: First time setup questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:09:58 am »
Quote from: "jeffwillden"
I've installed Pluto on a box I borrowed from work, a quad CPU P4 2.4GHz, 1Gb RAM, 123 Gb hard drive and I'm able to access the Pluto web interface from another computer. I was able to get Asterisk up and running. I installed it as a hybrid core so I can try out the media director stuff before I get another computer for the task, so I was expecting it to boot up to the menu, but I just get a gray screen. With alt-tab I can get to the iceWM menu and from there I can get to the page with the Pluto home logo and this text-based menu: http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Console.jpg but I'm lost.

In the web interface I am able to go to the Wizard for Media Directors and change the resolution (I've got it at "800 600/85" right now) and when I change res, the core brings up the resolution sizing graphic, etc. and the web interface asks to quick reload the router and rebuild the graphics, but it goes back to the gray screen.

I suspect it may be an issue with the video card, and I'm embarrassed to say, I don't even know what video card this machine has. I wanted to get to a command line and try "lspci -vv" to see if I can figure out what card it has, but I don't know enough about the system to do that.

I've got a n HDHomeRun I hope to try with MythTV, at least for normal resolution digital channels, and see if I've got the processing power for hdtv. But when I bring up the Wizard->Devices->Myth Settings, it gives me an empty page.

Help is much appreciated, I'm excited to get this working!

From the Pluto console screen press ALT+F2 through ALT+F6 to login in to the system. You can then login as 'root with the password you created when you installed Pluto.

Then you can do some research into the problem which I agree appears to be related to your video card. I would also suggest trying to set some other resolutions/refresh from Web Admin. Use Wizards->Devices->Media Directors and your Hybrid should be the first Media Director listed. Set the resolution there as you have before... but try some other combinations. We usually find that most desktop machines with nVidia/ATI/Intel graphics will accept 800x600/60Hhz.

Hope the above helps.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
First time setup questions
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:36:54 pm »
After I did a re-install (due to the recent upgrade and the /Work folder mentioned on other forums) I switched the resolution to the basic 800/600/60Hz and it seems to be working. I also looked closer, and the video card is just some on-board video. But now I'm not so sure it's a video-card issue. I'm able to get to the Pluto menu with lighting, media, climate, telecom, security and the lower menu, but there is a grey margin along the left and the right of the pluto screen, and the security icon is flashing as are the two users' icons in the telecom row. So anyway, although it looks odd, it's semi-functional, but when I go to the MythTV Player, the full screen is used and it looks fine. Despite having the grey margins, it looks like mouseclicks are still full-screen, so clicking in the area to the left of the telecom icon actually clicks the telecom button, same with clicking to the right of icons along the right side of the screen... looks like the graphics are compressed horizontally, but the clicks are still using the normal full-screen.

Another wierd thing, the sub-screens, like the security screen, all have a black region that flickers and in the upper right over the Home icon is a red circle with a red line through it (like some sort of 'prohibited' icon).

Anyway, things are getting better, but aren't there yet.