Author Topic: HDD usage and Snapshot questions...  (Read 2439 times)

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
HDD usage and Snapshot questions...
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »
1> I have a media director with a 20GB HDD installed.  I use this HDD to be able to boot the machine into Ubuntu for HW testing so if I am having an issue with the box in MD mode (net booted), I can easily see if it's hardware related or software/driver related. When I boot it into MD mode, the core detects the drive and asks if I want the it to use the drive. I'm not sure what the core will do with it.  My assumption is that it will mount it and use it for storage (not very usefull since this is only a 20GB HDD).  Is my assumption accurate or does it use it for some other purpose?

2> Are the latest snapshot revisions that are available for download here <http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/> just updates to the install scripts or do they also include software or hardware updates?

Thanks,

<M>

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: HDD usage and Snapshot questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:34 pm »
If you don't have any media on it, and you don't intend on using it for storage, then just ignore it. MDs don't NEED to have a hard disk in them, so I would conclude that it is not necessary, apart from for storage (and as you say, 20 GB isn't going to get you very far).

The snapshots are like a bang-up-to-date DVD installation disk i.e. everything you need. Just follow the DVD installation instructions.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HDD usage and Snapshot questions...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:06:36 pm »
If you don't have any media on it, and you don't intend on using it for storage, then just ignore it. MDs don't NEED to have a hard disk in them, so I would conclude that it is not necessary, apart from for storage (and as you say, 20 GB isn't going to get you very far).

The snapshots are like a bang-up-to-date DVD installation disk i.e. everything you need. Just follow the DVD installation instructions.

Cheers,
Matt.

Thanks Matt,

So what I hear you saying is, the core's only use for this drive would be for additional storage space. Otherwise, the core has no other use for the drives on the Media Directors.

Thanks,

<M>