Author Topic: Dual NIC issue...  (Read 1989 times)

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Dual NIC issue...
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:35:11 pm »
Good Morning All, Backgroud -- I downloaded and am installing snapshot LinuxMCE-8.10-23614-i386.iso 13-Jan-2011 16:16  3.5G. I have two NICs, one built in (primary) and one on a PCI expansion slot (secondary).  I read in the wiki that you need the primary connected to the internet for the install. Or, just to be safe, connect both. I connected both.  The install into Kubuntu went fine.  The update and dist-upgrade went okay but seemed slow. When I ran the LMCE installer script on the desktop, things really got bound up.  I also noticed that I was having trouble connecting to the internet. All the other machines on the network could connect fine so it wasn't my home network. I disconnected the secondary nic and the installation went fine.  I am at the point of the installation after the av wizard but before the set-up wizard (screen is black with big white letters telling me that it is installing stuff like Pluto Text to Speech, etc).  It seems that all the activity on the NICs is now on the secondary.  I plugged the secondary back in because when I rebooted after running the install script, it got hung up on looking for an IP address on the secondary. Once I plugged it back in, it went on its merry way. According to what I understand, after the installation is complete, the primary nic runs the LMCE network (media directors, NAS, DHCP, and all that) and the secondary nic is for internet connectivity.
So this is my question.  Having the primary NIC connected to the internet during the initial install (ie, running the install script on the Kubuntu desktop) and the secondary NIC connected after that would be a normal indication?
Thanks,

M

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Dual NIC issue...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »
The primary NIC (eth0) is your external (internet) connection and the secondary NIC (eth1) is your internal network (LMCE), and so you should (after install) not connect both to the same switch / hub / router.