Author Topic: Basic noob clarifications  (Read 2588 times)

gibbs

• First post!
    • View Profile
Basic noob clarifications
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:06:02 am »
I had just some basic questions after reading through the wiki (random ones at that):

- Does each MD have to netboot into LMCE?  In my current network I run windows 7 boxes, but if I wanted to use them as MD units as well would I have to restart them, open bios and switch to netboot, and then enter LMCE?   That sounds cumbersome, or is there something I missed?  In the alternative, is there a way for the pc's to access the core from windows?  Could it be done if I chose to run linux on each box (although I'd rather stay with windows to accommodate more users)?

- Does a standalone core need a powerful graphics card?  After install can't I just remote in?  Also, do you put a TV tuner in the core and stream to other MD and place another in the htpc as well for independent viewing? 

- If I use the core as my router, and then disable DHCP functions in the wireless router, there is still security?  Like I can still set a password and all on my wireless? 

- I have vonage with a VoIP router, and this can be integrated as well?  (I have not yet researched this one)

- Lastly (for those kind enough to read), most of my hardware is circa 2005; will this do?  I'm new to linux having tried it and run into driver issues in the past which compelled me to drop it, but I'm going another round if it can prolong the life of the junk around my house...

Thanx for any guidance.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Basic noob clarifications
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:58:19 am »
Hello and welcome!

-Yes, it is best. You can run a VirtualBox MD (see the wiki page http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/VirtualBox_MD), but it's not a solid solution, performance is much better if you netboot. My suggestion would be to stop using windows 7 :) Yes you can access the files on the core from a "normal" windows or ubuntu desktop.

-A standalone core, in theory, doesn't need ANY graphics card as it can be accessed from other machines. Although if like me the thought of that makes you nervous, then have a monitor attached to your core. If you think you are ever going to use it as a hybrid, get nVidia. Else, you may be alright with any old thing. I have an ATI card in my core which runs UI1 (although I do have to install the drive manually), which does me. But that said, for the price of a graphics cards, why not just get an nVidia one.

-Use the core as your router - that is recommended. This gives you a "linuxy" firewall there. Plug your wireless router into the internal network, and set up your wireless in the normal way, using WPA, MAC filter, etc. It's important that you realise that this is merely being used a Wireless Access Point, and not as a router as such (check out my setup page, this is what I have done).

-I had nothing but issues with Vonage; my understanding is that they don't "give out" the information required to integrate the line into LMCE, somebody please correct me if I am wrong. FYI I am only talking about the LMCE integration side of things here - apart from not being able to do that, Vonage were exemplary in my opinion (you can still USE Vonage in the normal way, it just won't be integrated). I am now with Sipgate, and have registered the line successfully with LMCE, but haven't been able to dial out/in for some reason. I need to investigate this.

-Yes, older hardware can actually be better in some instances. Feel free to post your hardware specs for us to take a closer look.

I wish you the best of luck. Check out the various user setups on the wiki as well, as they will give you a good idea of how to approach things.

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:11:38 am by purps »
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Basic noob clarifications
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »
Our diskless booting mechanism is very flexible, you select which operating system you wish to boot, either from an orbiter panel, or from the web admin.

You only need to set the BIOS to boot from the network.

Depending on which is selected, the system will write the appropriate configuration so that the next time the network boot happens, it will boot the right OS. (Technically, PXE has a boot option called LOCALBOOT, which we send when the machine needs to boot its local OS.)

in other words, "We thought of that, already." :)

-Thom