Author Topic: WebDT security and network question  (Read 4486 times)

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
WebDT security and network question
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »
Hi guys,

Would like to install the webDT orbiter image as looks really nice but I have 2 questions:

1) My internal network is currently set at 192.168.1.xxx as I ported a few static IP stuff from my previous network. I've read the forum posts and wiki about setting up the network settings and I believe it is set to the core at 192.168.80.1 by default. Is there a method/steps to change this?

2) With the cisco 350 it only supports WEP. Does anyone know of any PCMCIA cards that a plug and play into the WebDT 366 that will support WPA2? I read that WEP is fairly weak but in reality how bad is it?

Thanks Josh
My Setup: On it's way

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: WebDT security and network question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »
Hi. I designed PadOrbiter.

(1) no, there isn't. PadOrbiter is set up to work out of the box, with the internal network being 192.168.80.1 ... If you wish to change this, you will need to attach a keyboard to the USB port, press ctrl-alt-F1, and log in with root/root, and manually change the IP address of your dcerouter in /etc/hosts.

(2) I have looked, and can't find any PCMCIA cards anymore that fit into that form factor to attach the antenna externally.

WEP was a compromise, because the WPA2 support in the 350's linux driver is horribly broken, and I was never able to patch it or the firmware to get WPA2 support working.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:25:25 am »
Forgot to add that I did never test it myself...
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:06:16 am »
Thanks Thom, I did read all the work you did to get the webDt going and I must say thank you very much to yourself and hari too for the work you put into this.

the balticnetworks card looks interesting except in Australia the closest one I can find is about $350US which is a bit much. Unless I can find another PCMCIA card I might just have to run WEP and see if I can turn off the SSID broadcast and run MAC filtering.

thanks Josh

zim

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:40 am »
Hi,

I had the same issue whit WiFi security,

I put that card into webDT http://www.tp-link.com/pl/products/productDetails.asp?pmodel=TL-WN811N, and installed win XPe and orbiter on it. It works perfectly, supports all autentifications and draftN.

Regards,

DELL OptiFlex 755/DC/4GB/1TB/8400GS/2NIC
MD:HPTablet1100
MD2: ASROCK ION330

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »
zim

When you say you installed win XPe and orbiter on a WebDT, do you mean separately, or do you mean you installed win XPe and used webOrbiter?  What I'm asking here is, did you use PadOrbiter with this card, and everything worked? 

Also, how far did this card stick out of the WebDT?  Can you post a picture?

Thanks
Bryce
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:22 pm »
Mine are currently running Win CE. How did you get a copy of XPe?

What would be the differences of running a win installation and using Weborbiter as opposed to flashing it with the padorbiter software?

Thanks Josh

zim

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:43:14 am »
Hi, sorry for late answer,

I will post photo today when come back from work.

I have WebDT368 / Atigo T , and it has XPe installed. On weekend i will install XP and see if i can use software from manufacturer of network card.

I used orbiter install which was on login page to MCE core.

I don't see any different in using orbiter based on windows, I'm using it since 2-3 months and it never hangs. It's stable software and if You need You can always kill orbiter and use explorer or any software for windows.

EDIT. Photos added,

Regards,

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:56:05 pm by zim »
DELL OptiFlex 755/DC/4GB/1TB/8400GS/2NIC
MD:HPTablet1100
MD2: ASROCK ION330

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
Thanks Zim.

If there isn't a big difference between running weborbiter versus padorbiter I might try a cheap wireless card off ebay first.

Thanks Josh