Author Topic: Dual PXE NIC Issues  (Read 432 times)

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Dual PXE NIC Issues
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:30 am »

My media director computer is a Compaq Evo d510s slimline desktop with integrated Intel Pro100 PXE NIC disabled in BIOS.  I added a Broadcom Gigabit PXE NIC and built a media director folder structure on my Core.

Issue: When computer boots the Broadcom NIC grabs an address from the CORE ( and downloads the initial kernel BUT the Intel NIC is found and attempts to grab an address as eth0 causing the following error

/init: .: line 1: can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf
[65.440961] Kernel panic - no syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Needless to say my keyboard lights are flashing and I am done.

How I fixed it.  Boot to a Kubuntu 8.10 live cd and copied the configuration of the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules into the /usr/pluto/diskless/##/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to fix the NIC order. 

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x1653 (tg3)  <== My gigabit NIC
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:10:18:09:d2:8f", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x103b (e100)  <== The 'disabled' onboard NIC
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:08:02:8d:2d:10", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

I did not have to modify the ##/etc/network/interfaces file because of the extra NIC.  I hope this helps someone.

Joseph Hume
F1 for HELP