Author Topic: Hardware Recommendations  (Read 9143 times)

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hardware Recommendations
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:30 pm »
Hello All,

I have scanned the forum and wiki and I have found helpful information about hardware.  However, I have yet to figure out an anwer to the best complete hardware list for a hybrid box.

What I would like to know is, is there a list of recommended hardware for building a comlete hybrid box that is known to work together out of the box. For example, motherboard "X", processor "Y", video card "V", Tuner "A", and sound card "S" is a complete package that works with LMCE and are compatable with each other.  I have had problems in the past when I was building my Myth TV box when video card "nV" is not compatable with tuner card "H" and you have to jump through hoops to correct the memory allocation.

Any help or constructive advice is appreciated.

M.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
I understand, and we all can help.

What are you wanting?

-Thom

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »
I understand, and we all can help.

What are you wanting?

-Thom

Basically, there is a ton of information in the wiki about hardware.  It is pretty daunting to try to sort through it all to build a basic system.  I was wanting to know if there is a recommended hardware comfiguration that just works (motherboard, US terrestrial tuner card, graphics card, processor, nic, USB-UIRT, etc).  I am new to Linux and LMCE and I am learning a ton as I play with it.  I'm not doing home automation just yet.  I am just looking to replace my MythTV box with something a little more robust.  I don't have the specs with me so I can't tell you what it has in it right now.  Just suffice to say that it took me a while to get it running because of hardware conflicts.  For example (MythTV), my nVidia driver broke my tuner card until I reallocated memory. I have read things on this forum about on-board nics not working on MB brand "X". The list goes on.  like I said, I am new and I learn by breaking and fixing but I need it to work first.

All that to say, is there a list of LMCE compatable hardware that works well together. A shopping list of sorts I suppose.

Thanks,

M.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »
Why don't we start with your preferred form factor? microATX, full ATX, mini ITX?

Do you have a case already? Perhaps you want to use your existing MythTV case?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:22:46 pm »
If you want pre-configured systems, you can get them from www.lmcecompatible.com ... funds there go towards helping us devs. If you are in the UK, you can get a Cascade or Dianemo system.

With that said, we have been keeping lists of motherboards and things known to work, the unfortunate reality is that new products always come out and supplant the old ones, and in the desktop computing world, this happens at an alarming rate.

But, once you get past the motherboard, using two NICs, an NVIDIA GPU, and supported tuners, will get you what you need. If you can, even...spring the extra cost for server motherboard and memory...the reliability you will gain will be priceless.

-Thom

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
Why don't we start with your preferred form factor? microATX, full ATX, mini ITX?

Do you have a case already? Perhaps you want to use your existing MythTV case?

Cheers,
Matt.

Everything is on the table.  I am not going to convert my current MythTV box as I originally tried loading 8.10 on it (before beta was released).  It never worked and would do different things everytime I tried to install (we won't go into detail as I am not looking to author a book). 
Form factor could be anything that works.  It seems from the research that I have done is that a seperate video card works better than an onboard one.  It also seems that there are more ATX boards w/o onboard video than there are micro ATX.  Since I will be buying all the components new, that there are no limits.

But it seems that ATX is the better option.  Am I off base on this one?

M.

PS.  I am still searching the forum and wiki while we are talking.  I know how annoying it can be to restate what has already been said.  Sometimes you just need help pulling it all together.  And I appreciate your help.  I am happy to read an earlier post if you have any that you can direct me to.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:31:11 pm »
If you want pre-configured systems, you can get them from www.lmcecompatible.com ... funds there go towards helping us devs. If you are in the UK, you can get a Cascade or Dianemo system.

With that said, we have been keeping lists of motherboards and things known to work, the unfortunate reality is that new products always come out and supplant the old ones, and in the desktop computing world, this happens at an alarming rate.

But, once you get past the motherboard, using two NICs, an NVIDIA GPU, and supported tuners, will get you what you need. If you can, even...spring the extra cost for server motherboard and memory...the reliability you will gain will be priceless.

-Thom

I'm in the US.  I would prefer not to get a pre-configured system as there is a certain amount of enjoyment that goes into building.  I would be willing to buy whatever is available from the LMCE Store since it helps y'all out.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:32:39 pm »

-Thom

I've been looking at the motherboards on the wiki...there is just so many of them.  It's a little overwhelming.

:-)

M.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »
So far, this is what I have gathered from the wiki and forum.

Tuner - HD 5500
GPU - any recent nVidia that has is compatable with my display
Remote - USB-UIRT (do the gyro remotes with built in infrared work with these?)
Motherboard - ?????
Processor - ????

Good so far?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
I would honestly recommend an HDHomeRun, if you want a ClearQAM tuner...otherwise, get a Hauppauge HD-PVR and attach to your cable box's component out.

The Gyro remotes have their own transceiver and do not use the USB UIRT. However, the UIRT will prove instrumental in IR control of your A/V gear.

-Thom

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »
I would honestly recommend an HDHomeRun, if you want a ClearQAM tuner...otherwise, get a Hauppauge HD-PVR and attach to your cable box's component out.

The Gyro remotes have their own transceiver and do not use the USB UIRT. However, the UIRT will prove instrumental in IR control of your A/V gear.

-Thom
I don't have cable or satellite.  I am getting my HD OTA.  Currently I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 (collecting dust) and a WinTV-HVR-2250 currently installed in my MythTV box.  I like the single cable/dual tuner of the 2250.  I don't like the fact that the IR remote doesn't work.  It came with a MS Media Center remote.  I like the way this page <http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards> is set up.  It just doesn't have any real information on those two cards.  It seems to like the 5500.
Since i am not using cable or satellite, should I still use an external box like the HD Homerun?  Or should I stick with an internal card.
The price for a homerun seems reasonable.

M.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 07:54:42 pm »
Mandingo has written templates for the two tuner cards that you have. They should be found and configured appropriately.

-Thom

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »
Processor - If it's a hybrid which you intend on turning into a standalone core at a later date with lots of MDs, get a half decent dual core. Don't go mad; LMCE needs only modest hardware. If it's a hybrid that you intend on turning into an MD at a later date, a single core processor will probably do you. Again, it does not need to be powerful, if it is specifically for LMCE don't spend too much money. The crappy computer in my workshop must be 7 or 8 years old, and it works fine (as an MD!).

Motherboard - If it's a hybrid/core, might want to go fullATX for the extra PCI slots (remember you need a second NIC when it comes to booting MDs). If it's going to turned into an MD, microATX should be fine. Or, consider getting a miniITX board, which has processor built in (just make sure you get an "ion" one - this is nVidia). Obviously you will be very limited on PCI slots, but miniITX boards make fantastic MDs in my opinion.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 08:13:19 pm »
Okay...great...recap.  This will be Hybrid that could possibly be converted to a core later.

Full ATX MB (just about any new one will work, ASUS or Gigabit?), seperate nVidia GPU (probably a GeForce 9 series or later (I need component out for now), modest dual-core processor.

Back to tuners.  Since this is a new build (I don't plan on using anything that I currently own) would I be better off with Silicondust, pcHDTV, or Hauppauge?

Are there any ASUS of Gigabit MB that I need to avoid becuase of known issues such as onboard audio or nic not working properly?

M.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:25:43 pm »
Again, if you want my advice..you'll do good to base your hybrid on a server motherboard. Your chance of both hardware compatibility and reliability go up immensely. Keep in mind, this machine needs to run 24-7.

-Thom