Author Topic: supported NIC for netboot  (Read 3190 times)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
supported NIC for netboot
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:13 am »
please make a list of supported NIC out of the box for netboot an MD.

My Motherboard used to work out of the box and latest snapshot is giving me kernel panic. same hard ware and nothing changed except latest fresh install.

did a lot of reading, fourm, wiki but unable to netboot.

Now may have to buy another mb, please let me know what is supported out of the box.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
Re: supported NIC for netboot
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »
I assume you went down the whole adding the module to the config route?

I had a similar issue a few months back, that just went away again with a later snapshot. Before you go spending money, it might be worth posting the information about the current kit, just to make sure!

What MB/ NIC is it?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »
The motherboard is MSI  model : G31TM-P21.

It has got realtek r8169 module on it.  Used to net boot out of the box when I had snapshot 23333.  The system died for no reason after update && upgrade. So I changed my hard drive, and installed 23559. the installation went fine except few problems. but the net boot never worked. I tried a Lot, and perhaps you are right, I thought r8168 is not enough , so I followed the wiki that says to hack r8169. That route is scary, and I was stuck in between where there is something to create the patch. Who ever wrote that wiki,,

My questions is,, those commands need sudo or not ?

some times the command "make" is recommaned without sudo and sometimes it needs. So I am damm confused. On top of it. There is no information to revert the changes if the issue is not resolved.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »
Did you try using r8168 (from Realtek site) just on its own? I.e. did you blacklist and remove the r8169 module also?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:47 am »
Hey Good luck with 23559 it broke my install and can't get a Realtek 8111b or 8111c to boot anymore where they worked with earlier snapshots, I went back to my original image of an earlier snapshot and all good. I think this is going to be your only option as I have spent the last 3 days trying to get the damn thing to do a PXE boot and no luck along with downloading more updates then you can poke a stick at...........................something is broke but nobody can tell me what it is.

Cheers
Beeker

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:41 am »
Can you verify all the basics are ok?
Hardware works
Take power of switches and router, wait 10 minutes plug it back in.
Is eth0 external network and eth1 internal
Is your sources.list ok?
Did the run Disklesscript run ok.
When following the unrecognized nic wiki, no mistakes were made?