Author Topic: Recommend some good hardware for Core and MD  (Read 2345 times)

Meggie

• First post!
    • View Profile
Recommend some good hardware for Core and MD
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:24:45 am »
Hello everyone,

I would just start to wishing you all a Happy New Year.  ;D

I need some help to install LMCE in my new house, but what do I need for hardware.

What should I use for my Core Server, can you recommend any good hardware,
that just works first time without going to hack the driver and do everything possible hacks to get it to work.

And what can you recommend for the MD machines. I need 4 MD
I also have two inwall touchscreen and here i also need 2 pc´s or MD just for control of light og music, any recommend hardware.

And if you have any webshop links plz post it here also.

Thanks  ;)

/Meg

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend some good hardware for Core and MD
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:32 am »
Happy New Year, and welcome!

Please spend some time reading the wiki and forums, there is a lot of information there. Look at the user setups for example.

It's difficult to recommend hardware for the core, as there are so many motherboards and things out there. Most things will work. One thing I will say is don't spend loads of £££ on the best kit in the world, LMCE requires only modest hardware.

Same story for MDs; almost anything will work, so you need to think what your requirements are. Does it need to be quiet? Low power? Small/flat? Cheap? SD or HD? Etc etc. The ability for it to PXE boot is of course vital!

Do you have any experience with Linux? Even if the answer is yes, I would recommend only buying a few bits and pieces to get yourself started, and experiment with it. Don't buy everything at once.

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:52:14 pm by purps »
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps