Author Topic: DVD player for mini-itx MD  (Read 6429 times)

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
DVD player for mini-itx MD
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:28:02 pm »
Good Morning

I'm getting ready to hook up the bedroom tv with a MD.  The tv is an LCD with all cables hidden in the wall.  SWMBO would like to occasionally watch DVDs on this tv.  For aesthetics, this DVD player needs to be either part of the mini-itx case or a small USB slot-load dvd player that will also hide behind the tv.  I would mount either solution such that the DVDs would be loaded towards one side of the tv.  So my questions: 
  • Does anybody have a mini-itx build the includes a slot-load DVD player that works with lmce? or
  • Does anybody have an external USB slot-load DVD drive that works with lmce?

I don't have a preference, other than price.  I'd like to get the whole shebang setup for less than $400 ($300 would be awesome), and I'm fine with building my own system.  Just looking for component help.

Thanks
Bryce
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: DVD player for mini-itx MD
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
why not utilize the dvd drive in one of your other systems?

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:29:42 am »

Wrong floor.  WAF.
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:00 am »
Hi Bryce,
In the UK I got an external samsung usb powered DVD RW drive which works great attached to my acer revo.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/184805 (SE-S084C)
Now discontinued. New version is:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239796 (SE-S084D)

Hope this helps.
Barney

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:59:59 am »

Wrong floor.  WAF.

Perfect reason!

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:07:00 pm »
Maybe I'm overthinking this too much.  I haven't really seen anywhere that a DVD drive didn't work with linux.  I guess I'm just skittish because so many otherwise ordinary computer components can be touch-n-go with linux (USB-serial cables, anybody?).  Does anybody have any recollection or experience with a dvd drive not working with linux/lmce?

Bryce

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:04:01 am »
Personally I have never known it (except for when the drive is knackered!)

I am a fan of the slimline slot-loading (not the tray type) DVD drives. I have used both SATA and USB DVD drives (same drive, just that one of them is in a USB caddy off eBay) and they work fine.

The USB one is being used on my carPC, which is a CLI Ubuntu, no problems there (except when trying to boot off a CD/DVD, I assume that's because it's USB). No problems with the SATA one either, that one is attached to the back of my TV with a little bracket.

Where is the mobo in question currently? Behind the TV? There are various miniITX cases that accommodate slimline slot-loading drives. I won't post any links as they will also be in the UK.

Cheers,
Matt.

EDIT: Had an idea for the USB caddy, think I might do this myself. The caddy comes in two halves - drill four small holes in one of the halves and screw to wall (or wherever) with some very small countersunk screws. Install DVD drive. Clip other half of cover in place. Job done!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:13:03 am by purps »
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:30:47 am »
Where is the mobo in question currently? Behind the TV? There are various miniITX cases that accommodate slimline slot-loading drives. I won't post any links as they will also be in the UK.

The mobo will be behind the tv in a miniITX case.  Currently, it's at newegg.com waiting for me to order it!  I keep going back and forth about either building one with the dvd drive in it, or using an external dvd drive.  It doesn't really matter to me which way to go, so I'll likely go with whatever's the cheaper option.  With what I've seen so far, that's looking like the external.

Bryce

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:55 am »
would you mind telling which motherboard did you choose?

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 11:33:41 am »

The mobo will be behind the tv in a miniITX case.  Currently, it's at newegg.com waiting for me to order it!  I keep going back and forth about either building one with the dvd drive in it, or using an external dvd drive.  It doesn't really matter to me which way to go, so I'll likely go with whatever's the cheaper option.  With what I've seen so far, that's looking like the external.

Bryce

If you want cheap (and if you're as cheap as I am :)), don't buy a case at all; mount the motherboard and DVD drive to a piece of MDF, screw MDF to the wall or back of the TV. Use a 1U PSU off eBay (for the best combination of flatness and cheapness), mount to MDF also. Doesn't matter what it looks like if it's going to be hidden! Alternatively hide the PC in a cupboard or wardrobe (again, case not really required).

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »
would you mind telling which motherboard did you choose?

Not at all.  ASRock 330.  It was either that or one of the Revo's, and this was cheaper by over $100.

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 12:44:47 pm »
If you want cheap (and if you're as cheap as I am :)), don't buy a case at all; mount the motherboard and DVD drive to a piece of MDF, screw MDF to the wall or back of the TV. Use a 1U PSU off eBay (for the best combination of flatness and cheapness), mount to MDF also. Doesn't matter what it looks like if it's going to be hidden! Alternatively hide the PC in a cupboard or wardrobe (again, case not really required).

I'm pretty cheap so there's a big part of me that loves that plan, but my kids can be fairly creative in how they destroy things (ie: LEGO fight).  I'll take the $39 case as a little insurance against whatever they'll eventually throw at it.  Even mounted to the backside of a tv, they'll find some way to throw something at it.

Just so you know, I'm one of those poor schmucks that had to replace a 42" LCD because a Wii-mote went through the screen.   :'(

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »

I'm pretty cheap so there's a big part of me that loves that plan, but my kids can be fairly creative in how they destroy things (ie: LEGO fight).  I'll take the $39 case as a little insurance against whatever they'll eventually throw at it.  Even mounted to the backside of a tv, they'll find some way to throw something at it.

Just so you know, I'm one of those poor schmucks that had to replace a 42" LCD because a Wii-mote went through the screen.   :'(

LOL OK, definitely worth getting a case then :)

Just in case you haven't seen it already, take a look at these, prices in USD as well http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3

I particularly like this one, smallest volume I could find that uses a slim slot loading DVD drive http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3#jc200, but there are plenty of others.

Cheers,
Matt.