Author Topic: Network Setup question  (Read 5116 times)

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Network Setup question
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:37:45 am »
Hi All,

I had an existing router/wireless/modem with IP 192.168.1.254 and home network on 192.168.1.xxx

Migrating the network to LinuxMCE, I set up a hybrid core with external IP card 192.168.1.1 which is auto assigned by the same router.
The Internal card is set to 192.168.80.1 which is plugged into a switch with all the old devices

Is it possible to change the internal network to 192.168.1.254 (and maybe change the external network IP) because I have about 15 devices all with static IP address (all logically addressed and a server that is headless so it is easier for me leave IP addresses as is) or am I better off changing all devices to DHCP?

Thanks Josh
My Setup: On it's way

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Network Setup question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:33 am »
Theoretically it is. But you might experience problems, as we might still have some hardcoded defaults setup someplace. If you want to dig in, and find out all the places where you experience problems, and document your findings, we might be able to make LinuxMCE less dependent on the 192.168.80.x number.

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:18:45 am »
Okay,

I'm happy to give it a try but I don't really know too much about finding and decoding faults. My coding skill are non-existent. I'll play around with it though.

Josh

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
Okay,

First hurdle, can't connect to the internet from the core directly.

I've set the router to 192.168.1.254, core's external card to both obtain automatically and static:
192.168.1.1 (and 192.168.1.10)
subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS and gateway 192.168.1.254

Internal card at 192.168.80.254

On the core I can get to both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.80.254 for the linuxmce admin page but not the router at 192.168.1.254

Checking the router, the core doesn't show up on the DHCP tables (when core set to obtain)

Internet works from laptop (192.168.1.3) through router.

I suspect the core isn't getting to the router and hence the internet????
Am I doing something/setting something wrong?

Thanks Josh

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:44:09 am »
I have removed most, if not all, of the 192.168.80.X hardcoding from the scripts years ago.

But since you obviously seem to have no clue on configuring networks properly, I reckon you'll be better off changing those devices to DHCP and sticking to the recommended setup anyway.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:58:59 am »
On the core I can get to both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.80.254 for the linuxmce admin page but not the router at 192.168.1.254
What do you mean? Firstly, open a command prompt on your core and type
Code: [Select]
ping 192.168.1.254Does this show a response? Do the same from a machine connected to the INSIDE network (192.168.80.0).

You say you have tried setting the core to obtain an address via DHCP. I take it you then re-booted? If so, again from a command prompt, try
Code: [Select]
ifconfig and post what you get back.

We can try to take it from there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:10:34 am by wierdbeard65 »
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:07:35 am »
Thanks wierdbeard.

IP address was only in a browser, just trying to access the web admin pages first. Checking I hadn't typed anything wrong was next on the list and then I'll try Pinging and ifconfig.

LMCE mentions that with the new IP address that the router restarts so didn't know about rebooting but I can try that as well when I get some time.

Thanks Josh

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »
No problem!

Just to clarify (for you and for anyone else who stumbles across this thread!)..

ping is a useful utility because, unless firewalls and stuff are actively stopping it, ANY device on an IP network should respond. The problem with using a web browser etc is that it relies on a much higher-level application (a web server) running on the device. A lot of kit doersn't have such an application and many that do have them running on non-standard ports, for various reasons. Ping is a lot quicker too!

Regarding the reboot thing. LinuxMCE is a complex system that sits on top of a Linux Operating System (the Kubuntu distribution). Part of LinuxMCE is a piece of software that passes event messages between the various subsystems. This is known as the DCE Router and, as I understand it, that is what is reloaded by the "reload router". The IP address is handled by a much lower part of the system, far closer to the OS. Now, there are ways of getting that part to re-configure without a reboot and I don't know for sure if MCE does this itself, but the surest way of making it re-configure is a reboot, then EVERYTHING gets reloaded! (Maybe I have been playing with Windoze too much, hell you walk past a Windoze box and it needs a reboot ;)) If you system doesn't survive a reboot, you have problems anyway, since there will be times that you need to bring the server down (like to upgrade hardware) so you need to be sure that you can do this ok. Simply editing the config files does not necessarily cause the system to use the new config.

Of course, my suggestions may not help, in which case you are probably no worse off...... :D
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

joshpond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:41 am »
Okay reinstalled LinuxMCE as I had another issue pop up and started from scratch.

Set router to 192.168.2.254, external card to auto obtain
Internal card to 192.168.1.254 (old address for router)

And everything seems to work so far. Everything can connect to the internet so not sure what happened before.

I ran ifconfig before the reinstall and the ext card came up with a different IP address (not the same range as the router) so that would have been the reason it didn't connect to the internet the first time around but don't know how it got assigned that wrong IP address. (It was something crazy like 128.236.x.x) Not sure why but it all works now.

Thanks Josh