Author Topic: Strange MD Issue  (Read 2996 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Strange MD Issue
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:19:17 pm »
Hello all,
I have a strange issue with my living room MD.
Basically when I let the MD sit and it goes idle and then I try to use the MD there is a few min delay for it to recognize that I have pressed buttons on the remote. It looks as if the skin has to reload. Once it loads again everything works fine until I let it sit again. This happens on UI 1 or UI 2. I have replaced the MD and there is still no change. My other MD's do not have this problem and I did not have this problem in LMCE 7.10. The only thing that I can think of that might cause this issue is maybe the physical distance from my switch to my MD.

My switch is upstairs in my closet and the MD is downstairs. That MD happens to be the one that is farthest away from the switch. Could it be that I am just dropping packets or there is a delay due to distance?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

-Dustin
Core: Broken :(

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Strange MD Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:19 pm »
There shouldn't be a network related issue to the problem.  Have you tried pinging your MD from the core looking for dropped packets.  However, Unless your passing a lot of traffic across your switch I doubt that there is a network problem.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:38:46 pm »
I haven't tried to ping from the core as of yet. The switch is about 2 years old now, its a no name gigabit 8 port switch. I do have 2 other PC's plus 2 laptops running wireless from an access point on one of the switch ports. I don't think it is network related unless the network port I happen to be using on the switch happens to be failing.
I will try to ping the MD when I get home today to see what happens. If I do see dropped packets I will try maybe a different port on the switch and see if there is an improvement, If there is I may just upgrade my switch.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:12:14 am »
I was able to ping my MD from my core and there were no dropped packets and the ping time was 0.116ms which is really actually pretty quick for a response time.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:00:41 am »
Take power off your switch, let it be powerless for 4 minutes, plug it in.
See what happens.