Author Topic: Diskless MD, Mythtv frontend fails to start.  (Read 2818 times)

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Diskless MD, Mythtv frontend fails to start.
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »
Hey, I'm having an issue with the mythtv frontend starting on my diskless media director. When I start the app I get a tan screen background and after a few seconds I get a bar at the bottom with a digital clock on the right hand side.  All the logs in /var/log/pluto for 'spawn*myth*.log' are zero bytes.  The frontend works fine on the core.  The MD only has logs for mythbackend with no real errors in it.  Has anyone seen an issue like this, or is there any other places I can check for logs?

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless MD, Mythtv frontend fails to start.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:46 am »
Wanted to bump this. I still haven't gotten this working.  Worse, I don't have any leads to follow.  I've checked all the logs I know of, but I may be unaware of where the ones I need are.  Does anyone have any Ideas on how to track down a solution? 

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:43:57 pm »
I've had an issue like this. It was caused by my packages not being up to date, see http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10309.0.
Especially note the part about changing the 600 to 500 if necessary.

Alternatively check how the mythfrontend is started when you use the orbiter (use ps axf | grep myth), and then start it yourself using the same command. That way you get the output from mythfrontend to your terminal and you might be able to determine what is going on.
(You might have to add the -display <display> option to get the frontend to open on the right display though.)

In my case the command used to start mythfrontend included "-w mythfrontend", but the -w option doesn't take any arguments so the program interpreted the mythfrontend part after the -w as a plugin that had to be loaded. This plugin does not exist, hence the weird behavior.
After that I looked into the trac tickets, found that this issue had been solved a long time ago, and that lead me to the conclusion that updates weren't installed properly.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
Thanks, going to give this a try.