Author Topic: Bluetooth PAN/LAP Profile  (Read 4243 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Bluetooth PAN/LAP Profile
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:56:06 pm »
Is the Lan Access Profile implemented ?  There are a number of PDAs out there that have BT but not WiFi, however if they were handed an IP over BT they would not need to be configured like a mobile phone, but rather would simply work like a WiFi based Orbiter.  Since DHCP is already running on the Core, this should be pretty simple to implement.  Not to mention, even if both BT and WiFi are available on a PDA, BT uses a lot less power.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to enable something like this?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 09:36:18 am »
Hi,

If IP over BT works on your PDA, Orbiter should run ok using TCP sockets communication. You'll need to install our Orbiter CE (for Windows CE 4.2). However, I don't know your PDA' OS version, so it might not work with Windows Mobile 2005.

Best regards,
Cristian Miron

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 07:38:19 pm »
Quote from: "chris.m"
Hi,

If IP over BT works on your PDA, Orbiter should run ok using TCP sockets communication. Y....

Hi,

isn't Linux supposed to offer IP connection over BT ? I think this is what poster talked about . As we're connecting with Pluto over BT (I guess over serial port?), we could also lend it IP TCP port over BT and work through that. This way you could also use Internet connection for other applications...

Did I understand correctly ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:52:38 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"
isn't Linux supposed to offer IP connection over BT ? I think this is what poster talked about . As we're connecting with Pluto over BT (I guess over serial port?), we could also lend it IP TCP port over BT and work through that. This way you could also use Internet connection for other applications...

Did I understand correctly ?

Hi Rob.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.  However based on the response I got I figured that it was out of the scope of Pluto, and something I'd have to do on my own at the BlueZ stack level.

Currently it seems that Pluto's BT implementation is limited to SPP (Serial Port Profile), however the underlying stack, from what I've read, implements the required profiles for TCP/IP support.  Any BT WinCE/Win32/Win64 -based device which uses the Widcomm BT stack should support the LAP (LAN Access Profile) and in turn, TCP/IP.  It's just a matter of getting BlueZ to talk to it.