Author Topic: Insteon PLC 2414u support???  (Read 7731 times)

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Insteon PLC 2414u support???
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:06:51 pm »
Hello... I am new to this forum but over the last year I have have had great success with 7.04 installations but am now trying to set up a 8.04 install.  The only one downfall is that I have not seen any progress with the Insteon support that was supposed to be included with 8.04.  I would like to use the 2414u but have seen little documentation about it..

My question to all is " IS THERE ANY WORKING CODE OUT THERE FOR THE 2414???"  If not then I will have to live with that and go to the more pricey and yet less available Z-Wave setup... I am a Ham Radio operator KI4LXF, and do not really want stray transmissions around.  I try to limit them as much as possible. I really like the idea of insteon... but the plm and x10 is sooo outdated.

Any suggestions out there for other supported equipment would be great.

Thank you all very much for your time and patients.
And Happy holidays to all!!
John Middleton

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Insteon PLC 2414u support???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:18:58 pm »
Hi Chemdtn687,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm using X10 devices, but Honestly I'm saving up for KNX. Its supported and works great. You have two-way communication which I dont have with X10. BTW I popped my first X10 light dimmer tonight.  :o

Karel

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »
From what I understand KNX is more of a Euro thing, is it not?  That is one of the other issues I have with Z-wave... due to the US marketing strategies Insteon seems to be more prevalent here.  But since I am new to home automation I may be badly mistaken.
John Middleton

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:35:37 am »
Yeah, looks like a Euro thing.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:40:59 pm »
KNX is a world wide thing, that is based on a European thing called EIB. afaict, KNX is the only automation technology that works identical worldwide.

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 04:23:57 pm »
I just meant that it's marketing is more geared in that dirrection. I have just noticed that the most accessible and marketed automation and control systems here in my region are of the Industrial PLC, or X-10 and Insteon systems. If I am to get a reliable and affordable system up I want to try to use what is most available and still not over complicate the system as it will be myself who is Administering the system...
I will defiantly check into the KNX technology.  If it has advantages that would override the cost savings of the x-10/Insteon system I would be interested.
John Middleton

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:16:14 am »
I will defiantly check into the KNX technology.  If it has advantages that would override the cost savings of the x-10/Insteon system I would be interested.

Two things: Reliability and x-vendor compatibility

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:31 pm »
I see that Seimens Has a complete line of KNX based products... That would be good because I could order from my local Industrial/Electrical MRO supplier... I also have a lot of contacts and motor starters made by Siemens that are DIN rail/ ISO style mountable. This helps since this is the same styles that I use in my business.
Do you have any suggestions as to a more affordable/ MCE supported Controller though... Siemens base price was on the high side and I did not find any listings for companies in the US that have the items in stock.
John Middleton

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »
ABB?
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:28:07 pm »
room controllers and KNX/IP gateways (if KNX/IP gateway is PoE)are voltage independent, which means you can order them from any outlet world wide. The stuff that is voltage dependent are REG based switches, dimmers and blind actuators. Those you have to look for locally. And I guess ABB is as good a brand as any other.

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:44 am »
Thanks for the suggestions but>>>
When I pulled up their main web page I got this

* Product Guide                                                                                       ||
    * Low Voltage Products and Systems                                                         \ || /
                                                                                                                 \/                Please note! This product is not distributed for use in your selected country (United States of America).
Smart Home and Intelligent Building Control (KNX)

ABB i-bus® KNX is the intelligent installation system that meets the highest requirements for applications in modern home and building control.

Intelligent Building Control (KNX)
   ABB i-bus® KNX is based on the simple and proven KNX technology (www.knx.org) which is accepted as the world’s first open Standard for the control of all types of intelligent buildings - industrial, commercial or residential.
With the ABB i-bus® KNX system, the buildings we occupy are easier to manage and control, resulting in increased flexibility, security, economic efficiency and convenience.
The operational flexibility of an ABB i-bus® KNX electrical installation allows the everyday working or living environment to be easily adapted to the individual’s needs – now and in the future.
The ABB i-bus® KNX product range includes components covering the complete spectrum of applications found in today’s buildings, ranging from lighting and shutter control to heating, ventilation, security, energy management, and many more.

I know if I wanted I could order the product and have it shipped to the US, but would it cause regular issues with shipping costs, time, and availability?
I know I may be spoiled some what, I do have friends all over the world and know how dificult it can be to obtain most anything in other places.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:20:31 am by chemdtn687 »
John Middleton

kilo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 03:16:58 am »
Ok so bottom line.  Is the 2414u supported and if not, will it ever be?

Thanks

Kilo

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45:54 am »
The 2414u is not supported.

It will never be, unless someone who has one writes a driver for it.