Author Topic: DHCP not working  (Read 2889 times)

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
DHCP not working
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »
I just installed the from the latest snapshot. My system has 2 network cards, one connected to my home router and the other one connected to a switch.
I get internet on the system so I know the one connected to the home router is working properly.
If I look under the advanced tab on the main screen, and under advanced again I see the following:

IP addresses: router=127.0.0.1; Internal=192.168.80.1 (eth0:1); external=192.168.1.51 dhcp (eth0)

The problem I am having is that if I connect my laptop to the switch I don't get an IP address from my core and if I give that laptop a static IP address such as 192.168.80.200 with a 255.255.255.0 mask I can't ping the core either. The system does recognize both network cards but for some reason I still don't get DHCP or can ping 192.168.80.1

Any ideas anyone? I am not very knowledgeable in Linux so I am kind of lost as to what to check for.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:49:25 pm by Raul102801 »

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
Re: DHCP not working
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:20:01 am »
It looks like, for whatever reason, your second card is not, actually, recognising the second card properly. It should be named eth1, not eth0:1 (This is a second address on you "external" card.)

You say it is being recognised, what evidence do you have that this is the case?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »
Thanks WB. I did not catch the 0:1 detail that's why I thought it was recognized so I really don't have any eveidence.
This is a brand new PCIx card and bought that particular model because there was a review saying it Ubuntu had drivers for it so I automatically assumed it would work fine without me having to do anything to it.
I'll do some research and try to find out how to install drivers for it.

Thanks a bunch.

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:20:41 pm »
To "install drivers" you need to compile new kernel version which has more modules (aka drivers) or you can try to hunt down your specific module and compile just that one.

If you are a beginner which is willing to learn then do so, but if you are not then it is best you go to shop and try to exchange your card for other one and try your luck again.

If you are willing to learn check this wiki page I wrote for upgrading your kernel:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Upgrading_the_Kernel#Installing_newer_2.6.3x_kernels_for_0810_via_PPA_repository
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent