Author Topic: Newbie (dont shout at me) Install Issue 810beta2  (Read 3864 times)

mightyox

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Newbie (dont shout at me) Install Issue 810beta2
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »
Hi All

been pulling my hair out tried installing lmce about 10 times now

I have downloaded from the torrent and burnt at 4x (lowest option given for speed) to various type of DVD media.

I have tried choosingfrom the menu kubuntu install and lmce install neither.

The operating system installs fine, after that it all goes wrong

I have followed various instructions, the main thing i have noticed (linux newbie as well) when i run the apt updates etc as SU the console window appears and the majority of info on the screen appears to be file not found/url not found when i presume its getting the updatesfro mthe ubuntu servers etc (i am online and can browse the web etc)

I also get several pop up windows saying "command error" after the first apt command.  I have carried on doing the rest of the install instructions and tried without and everytime i reboot i only get the console windows after starting grub.

Any help would be great. 

Thanks in advance

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: Newbie (dont shout at me) Install Issue 810beta2
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:53:28 pm »
I think you are suffering from the issue adressed in this post:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10901.0

Or you could try downloading the latest snapshot at:

http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/

As the website says "The latest snapshots are always available from the nice folks at IPTP. Snapshots are not guaranteed to not break your system"

Bongowongo reported the 5Dec snapshot as working

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »
I just installed a new image last night.  I tried the later November and December snapshots but could not get my MDs to properly boot.  I used this one last night:

http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/LinuxMCE-8.10-23388-i386.iso which is snapshot 23388 from November 1.

After burning at the lowest speed as you said you did, put the dvd in what will be your core and let it boot.  Select your language from the screen that displays and then select ONLY AND ALWAYS the LMCE install option.  I hesitate to say the last option incase it changes position and someone reads this later, but right now it is the last option presented. 

This will go through what appears to be a typical KUbuntu installation.  Type in as it applies to you and reboot (taking out the DVD when prompted).  KUbuntu will load and prompt you for the username and password you specified.  Log into the system and go to a terminal (IIRC it is in Applications -> System -> Terminal).

At the terminal, the first thing I do is set the root password for the system:

Code: [Select]
sudo passwd
It will prompt you for your current password and then ask you to set a new password and confirm the new password.

Then, login as root and do an update- I do apt-get update twice because it seems like the packages are not always grabbed the first time... but that's just me.  Obviously hit enter after each line:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Approve all of the packages where asked (yesterday it was only (IIRC again) 1 package after apt-get upgrade and 4 packages after apt-get dist-upgrade.

From there, click on the LMCE install button on your desktop.  For me it is essentially the only item on the desktop and is a white rectangle.  This will open a terminal window and ask you for your password (I believe it is root (su) password).

Then wait.  Go watch a move.  Go to bed.  Go do something that doesn't involve playing with the install.  When you return (1.5 hours (or so) later) it will say something about the first stage of the install is complete and you need to reboot.

I reboot the system and again after waiting, am prompted for a black screen (depending on how you connect your display to your core, you maybe prompted for the initial AV Wizard)  Sometimes I hear the beep, other times I don't.... when I'm convinced I have waited long enough for the AV Wizard to load, I press "1" on the keyboard and wait for the AV Wizard screen to appear.  You will know what it looks like because here is a screen shot of what you will see:
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/AV_Wizard_Step_by_Step

Follow the onscreen directions and wait for all of the packages to download.  If you get to the end before the packages all download WAIT!!  Do not force a reload, let everything download.  All you have to do is click the button on the very last page of the setup and a blue screen will appear. It will either say "reloading router" or "device is busy, do you want to force reload".  If you get the reloading router, you're golden and after a couple minutes and screen flashes, you will be presented with the UI you selected (hoping your video card plays well with your selection, if not you're going to have to rerun the AV Wizard, but that's for another post).  If not, and you are presented with the "device is busy" or whatever equivalent it says, DO NOT force the reload.... just wait for it to get done.  A while back Thom (again IIRC) added display boxes to the upper right of the screen that tells you what the system is doing.

I will add a caveat- I cannot get a display out of one of my MDs for the setup wizard.  It is a laptop and I have been told to try a DVI option... it doesn't work.  So to get around this I just connect a LCD to the VGA output and complete the setup via that screen.  (post script- you will need to run /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh before your MDs will load- but again will save this for a later post).

HTH

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:59:01 pm »
I am sorry I did not read your full post, but this is what I do.

Download latest snapshot
and install Kubuntu.
Check your sources.list
install via link on desktop
reboot, go through wizard.
After core is ok
Run script for making diskless MD's work
Then boot those, and see what happens.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:11:32 am »
mightyox : bongo is just mentioning what is there on wiki. you should follow the wiki and should not have any problem. It would help if you mention your specific hard ware. what kind of video card are you using? how big your hard drive is? I would recommand to setup your core with monitor connected with VGA connection.

good luck.

Take care.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:11:54 pm »
Hi,

Please don't forget that the Nov.1 snap has a MD5Sum value that should be verified.

If you aren't getting a matching value your download is no good!

Cheers.

mightyox

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:54:31 am »
Hi

Thanks for all the advice.

it seems it was the sources.list that were causing the issue.

Next Problem!!!!

I had succesfully installed lmce on a laptop with nvidia onboard (unfortunatly the laptop had an intermittent fault on the video side of things) but i did get to the wizard but no video showing of the help person

Anyway on to other things i have now installed on a ASrock system with AMD CPU and a nvidia gt240 (it as dvi hdmi and vga) I did a succesful install and rebooted after doing updates and mce / post install etc

Now all i get is an intermittent display (on either hdmi or vga) with a message saying noresume image doing normal boot (it also flshes up with another message but im not able to read it before the displays shuts off again).

I managed to the gui on tty2, it mentioned something about the nvidia drivers and looked for an update but said it was already installed, but i am unable to display anything about 640x480.

Any more help would be good, im learning slowly, but after hours of searching forums its time to ask for advice again

Thanks

mightyox

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 01:05:22 am »
1 more thing - if i connect the hdd from the laptop to the asrock system, the system boots to the main screen no problem as i completed the wizard on the dodgy laptop - dont know if this info makes a differance.  I have also check xorg file and it states nvidia but only resolutions 640x480 and below

thanks