Author Topic: Los93soL Android Touch Orbiter  (Read 40858 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Los93soL Android Touch Orbiter
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »
I've been working on a touch orbiter for Android devices for awhile now and think it's time to start a development thread for it.  This is posted in the development thread because it is not ready for the masses yet, and is undergoing constant development.  I'm posting about it here for those that want to help test and follow the development progress.  Anyone testing needs to be sure you're core is up to date.

There are several key differences between this orbiter and the one from DarrenMason, details are below.  We're all experimenting with these devices and trying to find the right combination to really move forward...

Updated 12/5/10
Features
  • Supports Android 1.5 to current
  • All strings localized (Need assistance with translations, volunteers please reach out to me)
  • HTTPS support, must manually apply patch: http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/226
  • 3g Support (Requires that you have outside access to the web admin)
  • Orbiter can be created and generated straight from the device
  • Update and/or use an existing Orbiter
  • Device resolution is detected automatically and added to database if it does not exist
  • View orbiter generation status from within the app OR in the status bar
  • Touch Orbiter communications utilize HTTP instead of the conventional socket approach
  • Keyboard support
  • Optional username/password logon
  • Configurable refresh rate

Updated 12/1/10
Partially Implemented
  • Wifi preference settings

Updated 12/1/10
Known Issues
  • Orbiter status bar generation progress can sometimes report complete, but not be reflected when launching the app until manually relaunched
  • If your orbiter is deleted, the orbiter app will appear to do nothing on launch

Updated 12/5/10
Planned Features
  • Pass phone events back to the core for more advanced mobile orbiter scenarios, for security concerns these should be options and the user should be able to turn off reporting (ie. Wifi On, Wifi Off, Wifi Connected (SSID), Bluetooth On, Bluetooth Off, Bluetooth Paired (Device), GPS On, GPS Off Last Known Location, maybe even as granular as text messages and phone calls from specific people containing a specific message)
  • Profile support (ie. Home, Away, Wifi, 3G)
  • Shake to refresh
  • Widgets (ie: House mode, Scenario Execution from home screen)
  • Follow-me support using Bluetooth (Initial tests are promising, server side development required)
  • Media browsing/playback on device
  • Use device as phone extension in the home

As you can see, I'm already doing some things that haven't been accomplished/tried before with the touch orbiters.  I'm also actively looking to enhance the functionality available to these devices.  I've done some preliminary testing for Follow-me Bluetooth on these devices and proved that it is possible, but there is quite a bit of server-side work that needs to be done to pull it off cleanly.  Merkur2k and I worked on a script in the web admin to do some custom lookups and poll the core for information, this script can continue to be enhanced, or we may use the same method in additional scripts to achieve things like Widgets.  I'm very interested to hear back from the community about your ideas to achieve some of the planned features, and any additional ideas you may have to make this orbiter even better.

You can follow the development of this application in SVN here: http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/902

Latest alpha/beta version will be temporarily hosted on my server until published on the Android Market for debut release

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE ABSOLUTE LATEST RELATED CHANGES IN SVN ON YOUR SYSTEM FOR ALPHA/BETA VERSIONS!

To Get Web Admin Changes (On your core)

To Get Required Changes For Keyboard Support (Continued from above instructions)
  • cp /home/lmce-admin/operations/myDevices/orbiters/proxySocket.php /var/www/lmce-admin/operations/myDevices/orbiters/proxySocket.php

Updated 12/14/10
Download
http://los93sol.kicks-ass.net/LinuxMCEOrbiter.apk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:48:03 am by los93sol »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Los93soL Android Touch Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:48 am »
I like the direction this touchOrbiter is going. Can you put up a download link - I have 2 devices which I would like to test it on

thanks!

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »
IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE ABSOLUTE LATEST RELATED CHANGES IN SVN ON YOUR SYSTEM FOR ALPHA/BETA VERSIONS!

Something like this should get you updated, if you didn't already know (like me).
Code: [Select]
svn co http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/web/lmce-admin /var/www/lmce-admin

If you get errors related to un-versioned directories, you may need to add the --force option to the command like this.
Code: [Select]
svn co --force http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/web/lmce-admin /var/www/lmce-admin

Any authorities on the subject, feel free to correct me where applicable.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:00:35 am »
los93sol - which latest changes do we need?  pluto-website admin?  Or do we also need the latest orbiter plugin, or even more?

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:17:36 pm »
los93sol - which latest changes do we need?  pluto-website admin?  Or do we also need the latest orbiter plugin, or even more?

pluto-website admin is all that is required currently, per your heads up last night, I'm aware of the crash when installing on 1.6, I don't know why it's happening yet, it only happens when installed from URL though, if I install through USB using ADB the app installs and runs without issues on 1.6.  I'm all ears if anyone may know why it's happening, the errors don't point me in any kind of direction

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:32 am »
has there been any more progress with this app?

I just downloaded it, and it looks promising. I was able to connect to my core and create a new orbiter from my device, but after that, the app just sits at the Linux MCE penguin screen.

The orbiter works fine. i downloaded the 'other' android touch orbiter, and I can connect and use that one fine.

Any ideas? I can't get back into the settings screen on your app, so I don't know what to do.

My device is an HTC Hero (sprint), currently running android 2.1

I'd like to see what is different with this app (functionality wise) compared to the other, which is just an interface to the web orbiter, but can't get past the load screen.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:53 pm »
Some user testing has been discussed here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10811.0

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 02:24:12 pm »

That thread is for the other Android Touch Orbiter, not the one mentioned in this thread

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:25 pm »
I'm aware of the crash when installing on 1.6, I don't know why it's happening yet, it only happens when installed from URL though, if I install through USB using ADB the app installs and runs without issues on 1.6. 

It also crashes upon install on 2.2 for me (direct download from your site).

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 04:26:32 am »
I'm aware of the crash when installing on 1.6, I don't know why it's happening yet, it only happens when installed from URL though, if I install through USB using ADB the app installs and runs without issues on 1.6.

It also crashes upon install on 2.2 for me (direct download from your site).

This should be fixed now, some time ago I switched to a higher resolution icon, apparently the resolution was way too high...was a pain to find, but it is working fine here now, let me know if you have any issues.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 01:07:56 pm »
Yep, works fine now on my G1 running Android 1.6

Couldn't get https to work, but I'll update my webadmin and try again

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »
Yep, works fine now on my G1 running Android 1.6

Couldn't get https to work, but I'll update my webadmin and try again

:) Glad to hear it's working for you now

HTTPS is sort of a "pre-feature" lol, you'll have to grab the script from ticket #226 and run it on your core before it will work.  If you want to use HTTPS from outside you'll also have to setup a port forward to your core on port 443.  The manual pieces of HTTPS will be easier once it is officially rolled into SVN.

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 12:58:11 am »

This is for darren masons arbiter, not this one.

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:03:22 am »
Just tried loading this on my girls HTC evo, and it dies the same thing. I used the link at the top of this thread, downloaded it, and then installed it.

It's definitely not a processing issue on this phone.

Any ideas?

aico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 07:53:56 am »
Hi,

I installed the Orbiter on a Eken M002 (Android 1.6) and have the same problem...

Regards
Johannes