Author Topic: New Device: Generic PC Workstation  (Read 5015 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
New Device: Generic PC Workstation
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:27:22 am »
I have added a new device in sqlCVS. It's a C++ device intended to run on a linux PC that is NOT a media director, but is connected to the home network, such as a work PC.

The Binary is HERE: http://www.localeconcept.com/pub/Generic_PC_Workstation.tar.gz

It exposes two commands, Off and On, which turn on and off the attached display to the PC using DPMS calls.

The code is in charon-merge, so adventurous types can compile it, and use it after doing an sqlCVS update...

Once the code is compiled, stick it on the target PC, along with libPlutoUtils, libSerializeClass, and libDCECommon from /usr/pluto/lib, make sure they are copied to /usr/local/lib (with generic pc workstation binary copied into /usr/local/bin respectively), then run ldconfig to make sure your shared lib cache is updated....

once this is done, you can go into the web admin, and add a new top level device, device template #1953.. be sure to set the IP address to the IP address of the PC you wish to control.. save.. then reload router...

once you've done this, load Generic_PC_Workstation in a running X session, and let it sit there. It will connect, get the appropriate device #, and sit there waiting for commands...

You can then either use Send Command or MessageSend to send On/Off to test it, or create a new scenario (or attach it to an existing scenario), or attach it to an event.. play with it.

I have created a youtube demo video, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFc6RG0PwLg

Enjoy fellas, and yes.. I am sorry about the extreme mouth-up... cell cam was on zoom. :P

I hope this will open people's eyes to the fact that DCE devices DO NOT have to be running on a core or a media director in order to be useful, and hope that this will open up some new discussion on integration possibilities.

-Thom

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Device: Generic PC Workstation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:33:16 pm »
Hi Thom,

this looks promising, and opens a door to many possibilities. Will test it ASAP.
Thanks for sharing !

Sam

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:06 pm »
Thom,

did you by any chance get time to check in the template allowing to control a generic monitor by DPMS for a computer than runs as an MD? We had talked about that a few months ago...

Jean

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:10:09 pm »
No. Not yet.

-Thom

khonshu

• View Profile
    • AndyCrawford.info
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »
Hey Thom.  Could you make the Generic_PC binary available for download again?

After checking out your recent YouTube post with "send to" functionality within Nautilus scripts, I've got a new inspiration to play with PC integration.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:52:13 pm »
If you're serious about playing with it, I would suggest setting up a development environment and building it.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developing_a_DCE_Device

-Thom