Author Topic: Issue with PLCBUS  (Read 14961 times)

mrroberto

• View Profile
Issue with PLCBUS
« on: November 24, 2010, 06:33:12 pm »
Hello everyone, I have read a lot of posts, surfing, searching and seems that nobody has the problem that I have, I've tryed to install LinuxMCE in this PC:

Chipset: ION
Processor: Intel Atom 230
HDD: Disco Notebook Sata 2,5" 250gb
RAM: 1GB DDR2, ampliable a 3Gb (SoDimm)
GPU: NVIDIA GPU GF9400M

Interface USB PLCBUS-1141
Light module: PLCBUS2-R 2264D

both tested with the PLCBUS interface SW delivered by the S10

In the following conditions:

-LinuxMCE 8.10 beta
    I followed the wiki step by step but in the installation of the MCE just before it finished said that it couldn't update the initrd. and nothing was installed, it made the /usr/pluto/bin folder but no LinuxMCE and the few .sh files didn't worked because always something was missing. After that I reinstall it with other server because I don't trust in the chilean servers but, the same problem. Then I tried upgrading all, another install upgrading to other Kubuntu versions. But nothing, so I tried with another versions.

-LinuxMCE 8.10 23310, this one was the closest, the installation:OK, MCE:OK, but PCBUS:FAIL. i followed the Setting up PLC-BUS Template, carefully step by step. The device template fine, the interface seems ok and the light module ok, BUT, no signal to the USB Interface (PLCBUS 1141), when it send something the led on it flicks but with MCE nothing. Because of that, i guess the problem is the Interface, I did the wiki by the letter so may be some step is missing or has to be updated or some kernel module doesn't work properly. When i see the Interface log in the Webadmin it said the It couldn't access the device.

-LinuxMCE 7.10, first of all with the disk in Sata mode (BIOS) didn't recognize my disk so I had to change it to ahci mode but the installation got stuck after the untar files, just an blank screen with the cursor in the top. after the reboot nothing happened.

-LinuxMCE 8.10 22601 the same that the beta version I tried the same combinations 3 installations (without update nor upgrade, with update only sw, update+upgrade of all kubuntu), but the same problem with beta.

Sorry if some info is missing but it has been so many tries and so many different errors.

I really hope that anyone can help me because PLCBUS is vital to my project. If someone can help me and come to Chile I in person give him (her ;) ) a free tour. May be even a job.

Thanks for read this huge post.  ;D

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with PLCBUS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:56 am »
Does the device make a buzz, when you send a command?

mrroberto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »
No, It doesn't

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »
Then it seems it is not properly installed.

Flossytots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:37:12 am »
Hi everyone,
To start I'm a complete home automation newbie, however have been researching the topic for a long time.  My husband and I are just finishing building a new house and I decided to try the PLCBus system on all the lights, so I bought a number of micro modules from 10hk.com and got them installed by the electrician when he was wiring the lights along with momentary switches.  Pretty much all light circuits are covered by a micro module, and all the lights are cfl's.  I bought the dimmable modules, but as there is no recommended dimmable cfl's to use with these, I decided to first use standard non dimmable cfl's and program the modules to dim at 100% over 0 seconds (and then program again at a later stage when the dimmable become available).

The modules I purchased were both the 1 load 2263D and 2 load 2264D dimmable lamp modules.  Kevin also included the 1141 interface for me to program the modules preset dim rate and then send back to him.  I've loaded the current software that Kevin has developed in VB6.

I have a few issues and questions with the set up which I don't quite understand:

I believe that I have set up the interface correctly to the computer, and have the correct COM port open and ready to go.

I want to program one of the 1 load modules to be address H1.  So to do this I tried:

1. Entered H1 into the ‘New\Scenes Address’ House and Unit Code section

2. Pressed and held the reset button on the module for 5 secs until the LED lights

3. Pressed the ‘Main Address Setup’ button.

The ‘ACK’ did not turn green.  Is it supposed to?  The interface makes a noise when I do send the commands which is promising.
I then wanted to try and set the preset dim rate on the module.  So this is what I tried:

1.  Entered H1 into the ‘Basic Command’ House and Unit Code

2.  In the ‘Dimming Control’ section I entered ‘Bright Level’ to 100

3.  In the ‘Dimming Control’ section I entered ‘Fade Rate (Secs)’ to 0

4.  Pressed and held the reset button on the module for 5 secs until the LED lights

5.  Pressed the ‘Preset Dim’ button.

The ‘ACK’ did not turn green.  Is it supposed to?

I did have another couple of questions also:
Our lights are on a separate circuit to the power, all single phase, how does the 1141 plugged into the power circuit talk to the micro module on the light circuit, do I need a bridge of some sort?  Or should I be doing it all with an RF transmitter?

How to program 2 load modules?  There is only one reset button how do I program the second address?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks  :)

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:04:16 pm »
I do not know which programm you use but, to set my addresses I do the following.
I press the reset button for 5 seconds. I go to my laptop and send the command on A1 or whatever.
The module that was reset will become A1, it will turn off directly.
You can test by turning it off and on throught the program.
Also, I think the "h" range is not possible, I thought the ranges where A-F with 1-16

Flossytots

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:34 am »
Hi Bongowongo,
I'm using this program http://x10-hk.com/store/download/PLCBUSUniversalController-v0.50withOCX.zipwhich was written by Kevin Lo in VB6 (I want to get it set up in the windows environment before I even think to tackle in Linux).
According to all the docs, you can choose a house code in the range A-P and 1-16 (256 codes).
So it seems that I am doing the correct steps for the code and the interface is buzzing when I send a command, so that is also good.  The problem now is that when I send an ON or OFF command to the address, the lights themselves won't respond and the software won't acknowledge ('ACK' go green).
Is it because my PC is on the power circuit, whereas the lights are on the lights circuit?  Can the PLCBus signals communicate across circuits?  Anyone from Australia had the same problem?
Thanks

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 01:07:27 am »
Use the phase coupler

Br hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Flossytots

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:25 am »
Thanks for the quick response Hari.
I was a bit confused as I thought that was only to be used for 3 phase connections, whereas we are single phase, only a number of circuits.  Should I also be setting the software up for 3 phase also, or keep that at single?
Thanks again

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 02:44:08 pm »
Oh, my bad then.. A circuit breaker should ot interfere if everything is on the same phase..

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:14 pm »
Hari
Do you still have your PLCBUS usb 1411 unit?

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 11:02:19 pm »
Hi Bongowongo,
I'm using this program http://x10-hk.com/store/download/PLCBUSUniversalController-v0.50withOCX.zipwhich was written by Kevin Lo in VB6 (I want to get it set up in the windows environment before I even think to tackle in Linux).
According to all the docs, you can choose a house code in the range A-P and 1-16 (256 codes).
So it seems that I am doing the correct steps for the code and the interface is buzzing when I send a command, so that is also good.  The problem now is that when I send an ON or OFF command to the address, the lights themselves won't respond and the software won't acknowledge ('ACK' go green).
Is it because my PC is on the power circuit, whereas the lights are on the lights circuit?  Can the PLCBus signals communicate across circuits?  Anyone from Australia had the same problem?
Thanks
I had the same problem when I first set it up. I had the 1411 attached to the core which is under the house on its own circuit. I moved it to the MD in the same room as where I installed the crystal switch and it had no problem. Still on different circuits (one on the powerpoint circuit, one on the lighting circuit) but obviously didn't like our house wiring. We are single phase in Australia (Sydney).

Try connecting your 1411 to the power points in the same room as the light you are setting and see if it helps. I guess you could plug it into your light circuit as well with a light socket adapter...

I might try and set mine up again over the next few weeks. I have left it for a while as it was flickering teh lights at one point and I didn't have time to look into it so it got unplugged.... If I do, I will double check that the wiki page is up to date and the ruby code still works ( when I last used it I had 7.10)

regards
Darren

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:10 pm »
Hari
Do you still have your PLCBUS usb 1411 unit?
gave mine to Zaerc otherwise I would have done a proper c++ device already...

br Hari

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 12:17:24 am »
Can I sent you mine, and can you do that? Or maybe someone else in Austria?

Flossytots

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:56:14 am »
I had the same problem when I first set it up. I had the 1411 attached to the core which is under the house on its own circuit. I moved it to the MD in the same room as where I installed the crystal switch and it had no problem. Still on different circuits (one on the powerpoint circuit, one on the lighting circuit) but obviously didn't like our house wiring. We are single phase in Australia (Sydney).

Try connecting your 1411 to the power points in the same room as the light you are setting and see if it helps. I guess you could plug it into your light circuit as well with a light socket adapter...

I might try and set mine up again over the next few weeks. I have left it for a while as it was flickering teh lights at one point and I didn't have time to look into it so it got unplugged.... If I do, I will double check that the wiki page is up to date and the ruby code still works ( when I last used it I had 7.10)

regards
Darren
Hi Darren,
Thanks for the info, never heard of a light socket adaptor (sounds a bit dangerous) but I will try, and it's only temporary for programming.  So if that does work, and I can program my modules then I will still have issues trying to send signals to the modules.  Looks like I will need to get an RF transmitter to send my signals then? ???
Do you have any of those 2 load modules?  They only have one reset button, so I'm not sure how I can access the 2nd house code address to change.  Do you know how it's done?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:13:46 am by Flossytots »