Author Topic: add media files to newly added hard drive  (Read 3371 times)

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
add media files to newly added hard drive
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:01:00 pm »
Hi there,

I am new to the community and have been researching the system for the past few months. I have a newly created LMCE hybrid box. I followed the steps in the wiki and added a new 750GB drive to the system. After getting the partition setup and everything, I have a bunch of media that I would like to copy over to the newly formatted drive (its setup to use LMCEs file structure.)

How do I go about copying over a bunch of my .mkv movies over to the new LMCE storage drive?

Many thanks,

Ryan

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: add media files to newly added hard drive
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:20:53 pm »
It is quite easy, if you are using windows you will see Linuxmce in your network share. double click , might ask for the password, I believe the username and password is same as you use for webadmin. ( This is all if you are accessing from internal network).

you will see your 750 hard drive device number, and I story in public if you want or user_1 , ur choice.

hope that helps.

take care. peace.

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:43:36 pm »
You can also try moving files from within the web admin, going to files and media-> media files sync, expanding video, when you click on a file or directory, in the view that comes up, there is an option to move - never tried it though but saw it there.

You can also ssh to the server go the /home/public/data/videos (for example), you should see the link to you drive (most likely will show in a different colour), with the device number, and type mv *.mkv <the link to your drive>

Also you can use winscp/filezilla to connect to the core/hybrd and navigate the folders.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »
Keep in mind that when copying files into the LMCE structure you should either disable UpdateMedia or create a .folderlock file to prevent UpdateMedia from scanning the directories you are placing files into.  See: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Folder_lock

Failure to do this can result in strange problems with media detection & tagging.

J.

rchamp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:50:13 am »
thanks everyone. I ended up digging into the sync media section, and I was able to add all of my music pretty easily.

For now I am now ripping all of the DVDs I still have hard copies for, since LMCE does such a great job of tagging everything and downloading the cover art. After that I am going to try to convert all of my other .iso files to the .dvd format that I read in the forums and see if that works.

So far, i am VERY happy with this!

Below is my core/hybrid build.

Abit AB9 Pro
core2 quad 2.4Ghz processor
4GB mushkin RAM
1 - 160GB WD drive for the system
1 - 750GB samsung drive for media (will eventually buy a bunch of drives and do a RAID5 array)
XFX 8800GTS 512MB video card with dual DVI & one s-VIDEO
Pioneer DVD burner (need to upgrade to a blue ray player)
40" Sony Bravia S5100